Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a '95 cheap. It has 3500 miles, studded track. I don't know anything about this model's strengths/weaknesses, reliability, etc. I know it has the older Polaris suspension. If anyone can clue me in I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for here. Compared to the newer sleds, it's heavier, slower, and doesn't ride/handle as well. In stock form, compared to other sleds of it's day, it was a pretty darn nice sled. Modded, you can look for crank problems. Still, if kept in tune and not expected to do real well in the bumps, it's a fun sled.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Good sled

XC 101 rear I believe as the Special had the Xtra12 and the Xtra 10 never came out til 96 but not on the XLT the 1st xtra 10 on XLT was 97 reg XLT

should ride better then your Exciter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I bought it for $450. It seems to run fine starts easy enough, idles happily, the front end comes right off the ground the few grass drags I did. I think there is some play in the front end/front suspension however.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
$450 that is CHEAP

Good luck and happy riding

lots of info on set up for those XLTs

Since it is only sept right now

Take the rea suspension out and inspect it for cracks and such replace all bearings

I believe there is an aftermarket bushing kit for the front suspension thgat is not to expensive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Freezer for the info, advice, and well wishes.

I lucked into a good deal I think. A co-worker of mine knows this guy he was moving the next day and hadn't sold it at the previous price he was asking. I can't believe someone didn't snatch it up before me but then again it is off-season right now. I didn't even haggle with him just checked the sled and registration title out and paid what he asked for it. Some guy was leaving with a sweet KTM 450 dirtbike when I arrived I bet he got that cheap also.

Besides the studded track the sled is stock. Missing a few studs. Seems to be a strong runner. Of course I have only ran it on grass a bit. Clutch clean and tight seems to engage nicely. It definitely needs those front bushings as well as skis and carbides. I need to look into that bushing kit and other info online. Also need to go through the rear skid and see what it may need and the other normal things.

What I am really looking for is a clean Indy 500. I rode a recent one last winter and really liked it. The suspension was nice and it seemed to have plenty of power for a smaller motor. I have heard nothing but good things about them and have been told they give pretty good gas mileage as well. Any opinions on if this is a good choice? Is it correct that I should be looking for a 1996 or newer model because those have the newer suspension? What years should I look for? I have around $3000 to spend. If I can find a good one in my price range I will sell the XLT and trusty old Exciter when the season starts and recoup some money, then enjoy the ride of newer suspension.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Your budget will easily get you an Edge chassis sled built from 2001 until recently. The newest Polaris sleds built are still using what amounts to the same rear skid. You've heard right about the 500s, but don't be a bit shy of the 600 engine either. They're a 500 on steroids. Rock solid, able to go the distance, same gas milage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your budget will easily get you an Edge chassis sled built from 2001 until recently. The newest Polaris sleds built are still using what amounts to the same rear skid. You've heard right about the 500s, but don't be a bit shy of the 600 engine either. They're a 500 on steroids. Rock solid, able to go the distance, same gas milage.[/b]
I personally have a 1995 polaris XLT 600. This is a very good sled for its year. There are many diffrent mod's you can do to this sled. Also to be clear on Cranks for this sled you should not have a problem if you service regalarly. Here's a few things i've done to my sled.
Xtra 12 sup.
1 1/4 inch rip saw.
SLP power shift clutch kit.
SLP tripple exhuast.
SLP power dome heads.
Powder pro ski's (plastic for weight reduction)
many more..
With these mod's i don't notice gas milage increase!

But as you should no with mod's like this come alot of servicing and can get expensive over time. Mod's like this will shorten the life span of your machine. But if your a eased rider this should not apply to you and your machine will last alot longer :undercover:

Just though i'd throw that in for comments.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I bought it for $450. It seems to run fine starts easy enough, idles happily, the front end comes right off the ground the few grass drags I did. I think there is some play in the front end/front suspension however.[/b]
I have a 95 xlt 600... been a good sled to me... needs a top end rebuild before winter though...
$450 is a good deal.... A sled like that would still bring you ~$1200-1600 canada dollars in ontario...

I just bought a 94 formula z 583 for $400 cdn in mid western ontario, i'm really really happy about that... needs a seat and skis's though, no big deal. I got my OFSC package in the mail the same day!! I feel a good year for sledding coming, cant wait! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry everyone to bring back such an old thread but I would like to thank everyone that replied. I got the front end sorted out. Thanks to some early lake effect snow I have had a chance to do a little riding and the sled is definitely better than the old exciter in every way haha. As far as buying another sled I am going for an xc 600 not the indy 500 i was thinking about. Trouble is every one i have looked at in my price range has been a bit beat. Maybe I am picky but I am going to give it time till I find the right one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If it has 3500 miles on it chances are you won't have a bearing failure unless you mod it. I modded mine but only ran it at 8300 rpms, so I had a combination of increased power w/o spinning it to death. I'd love to find another one cheap like you did and then spin my sled to 9000 and see how long it lasts. :D

I kept up with all my buddies on newer sleds, but boy oh boy was I working ALOT harder than they were.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it has 3500 miles on it chances are you won't have a bearing failure unless you mod it. I modded mine but only ran it at 8300 rpms, so I had a combination of increased power w/o spinning it to death. I'd love to find another one cheap like you did and then spin my sled to 9000 and see how long it lasts. :D

I kept up with all my buddies on newer sleds, but boy oh boy was I working ALOT harder than they were.[/b]
I ran mine at 9800 :D for 4000 miles with no crank issue's.....after I had one built.

I found for a SWEET OE swap is a indy 400 secondary clutch, big diffrence in usable power in teh trail's with some small changes to the primary clutch.

If it has the green&yellow primary spring DITCH IT, there are a lot better setup's.

I wish I still had my 95 Xlt but not so "Built".....I miss that sled :inlove: . There are so many bolt on part;s for that motor it's crazy, and there are some OE part's from other sled's that will make them scream.

If you have any issue's let me know, I bought mine with 3000 mile's of the hardest rideing you can think of....I literaly rebuilt the sled front to back.....I let it get parted out after 12000 mile's :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Central NY - not sure where about that is but I do know a guy who sells a very nice sleds at a very good price. He's in Macedon, NY and if youre seriously looking for a nice sled, email me and I will give you his direct phone number. And you can call him to see what he has. Let me know - WL.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
"I ran mine at 9800 for 4000 miles with no crank issue's.....after I had one built."
NO you didnt. quit filling this post with crap. 9800rpms is not even a usable rpm unless your racing ovals. *edited because i was pissed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wasn't trying to start any thing....just what I had built after 7 year's.

Big bore kit, Xcr mono block(better design to work off),Psi drag pipe's(with short silncerS)Heavy porting by Flanery Motor sport's, Modded port timeing (intake and Exh),Billet heads, 40 MM flat slide carbs, Wisco rods,A diffrent type of crank bearing(belive they were tefoln lined),WELDED crank, Modded ING timeing, lightened flywheel, Custom primary cover(lightned), 4 year's of tuneing primary....3 years on seconday to many weight's, helix's and primary and seconday springs to list, Lightened drive shaft, Custom light weight gears....in many diffent ratio's,lightened jack shaft, Light weight track, light weight stud backers....and the list goes on.

I also played with shock's and springs(of a differnt ogrin) for control and weight transfer....also lead to my dream ride...after severl years.

I sold the sled(more like gave away) less most of the custom parts(gave away most). The sled had MAJOR chassie issue's(with I belive a little over 12K), every time I got one end fixed the other end would break. The motor had become VERY temp sentive and hard to trail ride, eather foul plugs or burn belt's like crazy in small trail's. The RPM's did take it's tole on relibalty.....had the cyclinder's literly come off once due to viberations lossing nut's. I rode a 900 Fusion that didn't vibrat that bad.The sled liked to be riden WOT or hard on the break.....and nothing else.

Spend enough time and money on something and see what happens.It wasn't a drag sled(I'm no pro) but it was FASTER any thing else I have EVER owned....I had a score to settle with a F7 and a V-max 4 and it proved it's point. I just used to trial and error....I just wish I would have had more sence....I could have bought a BRAND NEW sled for what I sunk into that year after year.

After all that I ended up with something I couldn't enjoy out side of my yard.....My wife bought me a newer sled just so I could ride again....and get ride of the monster that destroyed her yard and kept her up all night.

Please don't call me a lyer...I'm not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had oil injection pump maxxed out....ran it a little rich and had a coated main bearing's on the crank. Don't most trail pipe's show peak power gains at like 9000 RPM's ???? I thinking the under hood sticker said WOT was 8800+-200 RPM( been a long time since I seen it). Why would this be so hard to belive, a little over 10% more than stock. If you also think about it what does a seconday clutch do under a steady RPM on a flat smoth surface.....they tend to shift( I still had a little left) and reduice RPMs a little bit.... HENCE the term backshifting.....bringing the RPM's back to peak power range.

I'm not saying go and run it this high as a STOCK crank would never last...I was only letting you know when you said you would have liked to turn your's 9 that I had done that and a little more.....just notin a well manered way.

Let's get back on track to some one's GREAT DEAL.....want to sell it to me yet ?????

·
Registered
300 Posts
Talked to alot of really helpful Polaris guys before I modded mine and 9000-9200 was the sweet spot when running SLP tripples. I jetted up 2 sizes on the PTO instead of messing with the oiling system. Thing never missed a beat.

I always keep my eyes on the forums/papers/ebay for a local 96-97 XCR for sale as I'd love to toss my modded mill in a newer(read: straight) chassis(friends bounced my XCR off a few trees :( ). There is actually a perfect sled for me on ebay now but its out west...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts