Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a set of PSI pipes on my 93 XLT special. These were the pipes with 3 seperate glass pack mufflers. The little XLT flew. I remember having to go up on the main jets 1 to 2 sizes from stock. In the primary clutch, I had an erlandson red spring (145-300 lbs.) and the weights were actually lighter than the stock ones. I cannot remember the exact weight, but I think they were 10MW weights (46 gram). In the secondary I had a Polaris blue spring (29-64 lbs.), the old Storm spring. The helix was custom ground. It was a 46-36 degree progressive helix. I had 144 picks in it and I also opened up the air box. I would smoke XCR 600's with the same pipes for some reason. Technically, the XCR puts out more power than the XLT, but mine was just a good runner. Ran it 2500 miles with the pipes without a problem, then sold it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know what you mean about those XLTs. I had a 93 580 also, clutched, studded, and the block bored (wiesco pistons). That thing rocked XCRs and MXZ 600s and alot of other sleds, man do I miss that sled!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My buddy had PSI pipes and I had Starting Line pipes on our '97 XLT's. They were both like bullets, and there was really no difference in the pipes. However, clutching was. The best setup was actually by Hot Seat with a few modifications. Pipes on the 600 triples like lots of revs to get the power they provide. You will want to run at 9100 RPM. Lots of guys say lower, but you will only create half the power. 42 gram weight would be right, and if you want more mid-range pull, add 1 gram in the middle of the arm. The primary spring was white (330 rate) and the secondary was also white, but I can't think of it's rate. Helix should be a 54/34, or a 54/36 if you have a special. Put the spring in the fourth hole for drag/trail or #1 if you want to run radar (this lets the engine freewheel for more speed). The other thing is that you will want to stud otherwise all it will do is spin, making everything useless. EGT guages are also something you may want to look into. It makes the wallet feel better knowing that you are aware of how lean or rich you are running.

·
Registered
93 Posts
USE A BLUE SPRING IN THE PRIMARY WITH 10MR WEIGHTS AND A 94 STORM HELIX WITH A STORM BLUE SPRING. THAT WILL HELP THE PIPES WORK GOOD, WITH 38 MM CARBS USE 290 MAINS PTO, 290 MAINS CENTER, 300 MAINS MAG SIDE, WITH 34MM USE 230 MAINS PTO, 230 MAINS CENTER, 240 MAINS MAG SIDE, THIS MIGHT BE TO RICH FOR SPEED RUNS BUT IT WILL WORK GOOD FOR ALL AROUND DRIVING. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Anybody ever "gut" the airbox with the psi pipes, or just leave the foam in it. What does psi recomend? ???

·
Registered
348 Posts
what helix worked great on every 93 and 94 xlt's w/pipes 42 36 34 tri angle helix dont remember the jetting it differs where you from altitude mainly. you might experiment a few sizes then check your plugs to see how rich or how lean you are. :devil:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I run EPI tripples, EPI clutch kit w/ jetting at 280(PTO)-270-270. I only spun it to 8200-8300 last year just to play it safe. My first ride out this year told me I needed a new primary clutch so i'm having a new comet installed as I type. Once I get it back I'll see what the new primary does. It comes w/ 48 gram arms which I know are too heavy. I actually just called my buddy to order some 42 gramers.

BTW, I don't remember the helix angles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Edgexcr, you'll really enjoy your XCR now if you're installing 42 gram arms in it, after only running 8200 RPM last season. This should get you up around the 9100 RPM (remember, triples pipes need high revs to build power, and twins can build power at lower revs). Hold on tight, because you won't believe what this sled is capable of!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with everyone.
I had a 96 SP with pipes, thunderdome heads, carbs bored, ported, clutch kit and studs. It could make alot of folks upset to be beaten by a XLT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts