Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take out my front torque arm and replace it because of a crack that has developed. I noticed the crack when greasing the zerk that surrounds the lower pivot arm shaft. The grease shoots out of the crack with every pump of the grease gun. does anyone have a step by step, and do i need any special tools to do the job. I am also looking at taking off all my fox shocks to have them rebuilt and recharged while I am working on the suspension. Is there any special instructions or tools for this task?

What is the main thing that makes torque arms develop cracks?? what can a guy do to keep it from happening again?

Thanks
-Polaris Fan

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just pull the whole suspension. There's just the 4 bolts that should be obvious when looking at it. Then the front arm and shocks should be easy to figure out. Lift the long arm of the torsion springs up off the roller and release them slowly, just let them hang until you have it all reinstalled. That'll make everything you need to do easier.

Have whoever is doing the welding suggest a reinforcement where it's broken and do both sides. That suspension is famous for cracking/breaking there.

Suggest you take the chance, seeing as you have it down that far, to completely disassemble, clean and lube everything. Having the shcks done is a darn good idea.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just pull the whole suspension. There's just the 4 bolts that should be obvious when looking at it. Then the front arm and shocks should be easy to figure out. Lift the long arm of the torsion springs up off the roller and release them slowly, just let them hang until you have it all reinstalled. That'll make everything you need to do easier.

Have whoever is doing the welding suggest a reinforcement where it's broken and do both sides. That suspension is famous for cracking/breaking there.

Suggest you take the chance, seeing as you have it down that far, to completely disassemble, clean and lube everything. Having the shcks done is a darn good idea.[/b]
would agree with everyting lich said. i did some wleding on a friends last year with the smae problem, it turned out great. put some extra steel in it to to make it a whole lot stronger. as for if you want your shock rebuild, shoot me a pm or click my link and send me an email

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm glad that you are doing a rebuild we need no problems on the trail this year.
but truly if you want to eliminate all problems go SKIDOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol
havent seen ya sign on for a while nice to have ya back

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all the input, I had the shocks rebuilt and the torque arm welded. Now I'm just waiting on new suspension springs from shade tree.

But nothing can ever seem to go right. In my infinite wisdom I decided to take out the trailing arm bolts to see if the bushings were bad. In doing so I broke off the bolts into the body of the sled. :cussing: Can anyone suggest the best way to get these bolts out. I bought an easy out and I have tried to drill into the bolts with a cobalt bit, and have not made very much progress.

Any suggestions, aside from burning down my sled in a fit of rage and collecting the insurance money, would be appreciated.

Current conditions: Bemidji, MN Tues 11-27-07 1 Inch of snow and -7 F. More snow in forecast. Best possibility of accumulation This weekend!! Lets hope and pray.

-Polaris Fan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts