Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a new topic, whether anybody wants to respond or not, that is fine. Well here it is. What does everyone think about the Apex mountain or RS Vector Mountain ER? To tell you the truth, I am not a yamaha man, but I do like these two sleds. I think in a couple years they might be the best sleds out there because of the four stroke technology, especially if the EPA cracks down even more. Yamaha made a real gamble when they switched to a four stroke dominated line up, but it is paying off now. I heard they are super smooth throughout the whole powerband which is a good thing and the new mountain specific suspension is supposed to be great too. I would really like to ride one of these two sleds in the future. They look great and they seem to perform great and they are slimming down every year. The one thing I dont know about is putting the 162 inch track on the RS Vector ER. It seems like it might be too much track for it, but i guess i wont know till i ride one. Also I think they should of gave track options to the Apex and the Vector. Like a 144", 151", and then 162". But I guess that might come in the future. Those are my two cents on the topic. Peace.

·
Registered
714 Posts
From what I have read, unless you have a turbo on them, they are too heavy for the power to wieght ratio's compared to the competition........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Disclaimer: I have never been on an Apex Mountain

With that having been said, everything that I have read on the sled is positive. SnoWest gave it extremely high ratings and put it ahead of the King Cat and RMK 900 for boondocking and best all-around 900 class sled (Oct 2005 issue). Yes, the sled is heavier than the rest but it is supposed to be balanced very well and handles like a much lighter sled. I don't think a turbo will be necessary in order for this sled to run with most others but if you want the highest mark on the mountain a turbo can't hurt.

Bottom line: I am intrigued by them and want a little seat time this winter. Give them a couple of more years and Yamaha will likeley have a sled that deserves everyone's respect. My $0.02.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bottom line: I am intrigued by them and want a little seat time this winter. Give them a couple of more years and Yamaha will likeley have a sled that deserves everyone's respect. My $0.02.[/b]
I dont doubt that at all

·
Registered
103 Posts
What live2hunt said. I'd love to take a spin on an Apex (or RX-1 for that matter) and see what they are made of- the only people who whine about them are people who haven't rode them. I will say this though- there is an Apex Mountain on the floor at my local dealership, and when you stick that thing you better have a shovel with you! I picked up the back of the sled and it was a lot harder to lift than my RMK 700. Nice looking sleds though for sure. I am a Yamaha dirt bike fan, I own an 00 YZ426F and I really like the 4 stroke power and feel. I just wish they could get the weight and the PRICE down- I got serious sticker shock when I saw how much they are asking for those bad boys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well ya its oviously going to be a :cussing: of a lot heavier than a rmk700, its packin a 162x2.5" track thats a lot of weight right there, not to mention the 4stroke. They say it weights no more than the competitors sleds in the same class. I've never been a yami fan but this sled looks pretty promising, local store will have one in in the next couple days im really considering taking that home :lookaround: Not sure if im too keen on the 162 I currently ride a 151 RMK 800 and that seems to be a good size but i guess you never know till you try something else. anyone ride a 162? what do you think of the size? I think with a turbo this sled will be the one to beat, although you could get 2 reasonable sleds for the price of that

Just curious what price did you see it for? The price on this apex im looking at is $13,400 cdn, around the same as a new rev 800

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Interesting sled, but a little too much.
Too much money, too much track, and too much weight.

I suppose a sled that heavy needs a lot of track for floatation, but I'd rather have it with a 151x2" track. I like playing in the powder as much as anyone, but what about March when everything is hard packed? What about the trail on the way to the hills? What about digging the bugger out when it sinks?

Yamaha is getting closer every year, but they're not there yet. Not for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well i have got something to say about the apex mountain. They are great sleds and handle well. But the undercairage is junk i have 200 miles on my sled and the underneith is just pounded and bent and tore. I have talked with my dealer and they have said that it is the first sled that they have seen with this kind of damage. The yamaha rep has looked at my sled and said it was operator abuse and i don,t know of any other sleds that this has happened to. But i have talked with my lawer and he said we could take this to the safety board of Transportation and could make Yamaha recall all these sleds due to the fact of its a major safety issue and some one could get seriously hurt if the track was to pile up at any high rate of speed. And if yamaha won't fix this problem and not just for me any others they will shure in the hell wish they did.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Trio33, that is horrible news to hear. Do you have any pics of the undercarriage?

Permafrost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts