Snowmobile World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
The primary reason why most companies get involved in racing is because it is great adverstising. I don't think Yamaha wants to take their ad campaign that far. Most of the reason why they are there is to test out new ideas etc. Its more for research than advertising. They are a typical Jap company. They aren't into advertising and anytime they try to get involved there is usually another reason hidden in there somewhere. Look at Honda for example...I just read an article recently about how they are only active in cart and F1 to teach the rookies how to build engines. Once they get their feet wet they are off to production. They also referred to Honda as the typical Japanese company. I think Yamaha falls into the same category, Putting advertising last on the to do list.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mach Z,
   I think you guys are seeing backwards. Your saying they don't have a well developed race program because they don't have the audience. I think its the other way around. I think they don't have the audience because they are not involved in racing enough to attract one. Thats the point of racing. You race your sled, win, everyone sees this and wants to buy it. This is a method that attracts a more competetive consumer which probably has to do with why most yamaha owners are not competetive. Revrnd is right, only the SRX owners and Viper owners seem to be into racing. Thats probably because they saw their sleds do so well in the grass drags. The SRX and Viper took the cake in both 7 and 800 trail stock classes which implies that these machines in stock form have the potential to be very competetive. This type of scenerio attracts a competetive consumer which explains why so many SRX and Viper owners are looking for a race. I know I may be beating this to the ground but its my game (I am in advertising).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Has anyone seen the rear suspension Yamaha uses on their race sled? I know it is wrapped in a slightly longer than standard track and is completely different from what they are running now. They have been testing it for years...I wonder when they will come out with it. As for dropping money in grass drags I think that is a debatable topic and it all depends on the views of the manufacturer. All I know is ski-doo seems to drop rediculous amounts of money into grass dragging. I know some people who are into the grass drag scene and they say that ski-doo is the way to go because they offer the most resources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.