Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha has put their race program out of its misery. Now it is official that their race team efforts, which have been useless the last few years anyway, are gone. I guess they don't beleive the "what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory. It is never good to loose racing efforts though...

This from Snowmobilenews.com:

Yamaha Eliminates Snowmobile Race Department

Snowmobile News
Monday November 18, 2002

After announcing this summer that it would not be fielding a factory snocross team, Yamaha has now eliminated its snowmobile race department.

Yamaha laid off its snowmobile race department employees on November 16. Those affected include former Race Manager Gordy Muetz, Snocross Team Manager Chad Johnson and Brian Straswell.

"It didn't really make much sense to have a snocross race [department] when we don't race snocross," said Snowmobile Product Manager Mike Doughty. "It doesn't change anything for grass drags [or some other disciplines]."

Doughty said Yamaha will stay in snowmobile racing in different disciplines. But, at this time a full Yamaha factory-backed snocross race team and department is out of the picture. At this time, Doughty said he will head up the racing effort.

"We're going to stay involved in racing," he said. "We're looking at venues where we can be competitive."

With the release of its RX-1 four-stroke snowmobile, it has been difficult to find a place to race it due to the rules, he said. Muetz added that while other manufacturers make race-specific snocross sleds, Yamaha doesn't, which makes it difficult to race.

Doughty said the grass drag team will continue, and they plan to run the Iron Dog in Alaska in February. Doughty said they are talking to some enduro teams, as well.

For Muetz, who has worked at Yamaha for nearly 32 years, the timing worked out. He was planning on retiring soon anyway.

"For me, it worked out perfectly," Muetz said. "Racing's for the younger guys. It was time. It wasn't for Chad or Brian. I've been around racing since 1964. It's time to do other things. We've been planning on this day. It just came a little bit sooner."

Muetz said he plans to head south for the winter. But will he return to racing?

"I don't see myself getting back into racing," said Muetz, who was inducted into the Snowmobile Hall Of Fame in January. "I have no intentions of going to work soon."

Although Yamaha has eliminated its snocross program and race department now, it doesn't mean that the manufacturer is abandoning snocross racing altogether, Doughty said.

"It's the end of snocross racing right now," he said. "We think that snocross racing is a big part of snowmobiling. Hopefully, we'll be back when we have a product we can showcase. Hopefully, the rules will change so everybody can participate."

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Old news :doh:

It is only the Factory support in SnoX btw

They will still support other racing disciplines :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
To me this sound just like nascar! when ford pulled the thunderbird, ford still wanted to race so they lobbied nascar to allow them to use the taurus. Now Yamaha is saying that because of the rules they can not race. What a bunch of bull if they wanted to race they would have built a race sled and offered low production numbers to the public just like the others have. It surely is not a money thing because they have more money that all the others combined. IMO I think this will backfire because i know most of the people I ride with pay attention to the race outcomes and riders and in alot of ways buy based on those outcomes. The other reason would be the technology that most companys spin into production models. a good example would be the firecats if it was not for the race program at arctic cat there would not be a firecat and all the improvements that go with it. :cussing:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
BG, couldn't agree w/ you more. Racing improves the breed. If it wasn't for racing us 'doo guys would be riding '03 PRS chassis sleds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yamaha racing still exsists. This is different then the announcement of no more SnoX. Yamaha, with this press release, announced that the no longer have a race department. This includes all forms of racing. They do still support some forms of racing though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts