Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha detuned it.  The last time i checked the RX-1 was pushing 170-180HP and turning 10200rpm.  

Now i just read in a magazine that the RX-1 is only pusing out 145-155HP and yamaha geared down the crank.  So it will say 10200 on the tach but the crank output shaft and the clutches are only spinning at 8500 rpm.  All i can think of is there was a problem with spinning the clutch that fast.  

I hope for the people that ordered them that this is were it stays.   But in all honesty a drop in power should never have happend if this thing was in development for so many years.  Somehow i dont belive it was.   I think they started this around 2000 not the 5 or somthing years they were talking about.  

The magazine also mentions a test ride with the REV.  THey said its the sled of the future and that it has a better ride then anyother sled on the market.  THey also say the 800 feels more powerfull and in a corner instead of leaning out to turn like a traditional snowmobile all you have to do i lean forward and to the direction you want to turn and it will go around like its on rails with no skilift.  

I know what im buying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Machzzzz1,
The motor has always been geared down.  This is because, as you said, the CVT drive system cannot live in the 10 grand range.  As for th HP, I can't say, but lets hope the four stroke torque makes up for the HP!

Maxwell

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
machzzzz1, Yamaha has never claimed that much horsepower.  I have been reading everything I could find on the RX-1 since it debuted.  What you may be thinking is their claim for 65% more torgue at clutch engagement compared to the SRX. The gear reduction has been there from day 1 also.  Increases torque and allows the clutches to operate at a more reliable RPM.

And we know what your buying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but these guys are right, Yamaha always claimed in the area of 140 - 150 HP and it has always been geared down (to reduce rpm). I wish they would admit to a weight !!!  (by the way I already put my money down on a MXZ REV X 800!!! - I rode one in Rangely Maine in Feb and it was awesome!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mighty RX-1.  I have been thinking long and hard about buying an RX-1.  I heard someware that they were claiming 175hp.  I think it was on a TV show (snowtrax).  The magazine i bought also says its slower then the original prototype but they still say it will beat a SRX in the 660.  But what does that mean it will lose to an SRX in 1000.  

My friend saw one at a show and he tried to lift the front of the thing and he said it was really heavy.  So i dont know.  Skidoo released the weight right away for the rev and yamaha had the weight out right away for the VIper but somthing tells me that this sled is going to be really heavy.  

It has to be look at the engine.  Its the biggest engine plus its 4 stroke.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had heard the insurance co.s told yammy to detune it a little bit or they would not insure the big daddy. I don't know why they would do that you can still insure a t-cat with 172. Kevin

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Geez...that insurance thing is crazy!  Wish I had the money for a rev.  Instead I have 4 years of college bills to start paying.
  OH well.  We'll see about next year.  Are there going to be many performance parts for the RX-1??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts