Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint or powdercoat whatever you call it, the slide rails on my mxz i think it would look cool. Has anyone done this or have seen it done?? I would like them done yellow to match the rest of the trim on my machine.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really i never thought about looking there. But they must be more than 15 bucks, im not talking about slides if thats what you mean, im talking about the actual aluminum rails.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I saw it once on a ski doo.  Looked good.  I would suggest getting them powder coated-much more durable.  In my area it would cost about 100 bucks to get it done.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jwheeler,
 just get some aluminum paint prep and hit them with a paint brush. remember to keep things simple, newfoundlanders have kept things simple for years and here in ontario i would say we are envious. look at the amount of people that retire from here and go east.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i wont do that paul its my sled im talking about not a fishing boat, i think i will get them powder coated if i can get the right color yellow for it.
 thanks for that great idea though.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jwheeler,
 what's the large deal with powder coating ? if you are {and you are} fussy just take them to a paint shop.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wouldent just regular paint peel and crack easy on aluminum??

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jwheeler,
 not if it is prepped right, lots of cars and trucks have aluminum hoods and outer skins. look at the sleds with painted tunnels and the tunnel has a flat finish before paint unlike the slide rails that are coarse finished.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i guess if it was done properly it would be OK.  I will have to check into how much the powder coating is, because i can get it sprayed at a body shop for free. I will have to ask my buddy at the body shop to see what he says about it.
 But i cant ask for a better price than that to get it sprayed.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
In that case spray it...see if it holds..and if it does -- GREAT --- and if it doesn't...find an alternative

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jwheeler, You can definately do it both ways, but unless you want to do it twice get it powdercoated! I used to own a body shop and I  can tell you from experience that painting the aluminum will NOT stand up to the abusive  stuff that is going to be fying around your track. Painting aluminum car panels  is different as they dont encounter what those rails will. I am not saying that anyones opinion is wrong, I am only giving you my experience. I am from the old school of "if your going to do something, do i once and right" . Powder coating those rails is definately going to cost more that paint, but if your going to go to the trouble of taking them all apart, do yourself a favor and spend the money!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Would anodized rails hold up? Might be kind of hard to find
a yellow anodize that doesn't look gold though! Just a
thought.  

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
JWheeler, definately go w/powdercoating.  My buddy is going to powdercoat the skid on his new ProX600.  Can't advise you on cost, his buddy is doing it for a couple cases of beer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey paul whats your point? - the guy asked for my opinion and I gave it. Why does it seem that everyone gets bashed for thier opinions on this websight?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sledheadmxz, what are you talking about?  Paul didn't cut you down, did he?  He didn't even mention your name, unless I'm missing something.  

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
come on guys play nice.
 thanks for the input!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.