Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking up a 1999 z 370 for my teenage son (14).
Has many upgrades, skis, studs, etc.. Only has 290 miles. asking 2,500.00.

Anyone had any experience with one? How fast are they? Good on the trials? Any input would be appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
the 99 z370 is a great machine for a teen. i have two, one a 99 the other a 02. I have a blast driving it myself. only thing i think $2500 is alittle too much. I only paid $3000 for my 02 Z370 brand new.

T

·
0 Posts
forgot the top speed of my sons 99 Z370 is 62 mph with me and my son on it. My nephew had it close to 70 mph.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out here in NH a new 03 is around 3,500. out the door. Thought I would negoiate the price. Thought 2000. with the upgrades would be fair. Would rather a a 440. Think it is would waiting for the larger machine?

·
Registered
70 Posts
how bout from a teenagers point of view
i'm 15 i had the same sled for me it was good for about a month but for me it wasen't fast enough. my dad sold it for me a week later. he bought me a 96 ZRT 800 which i still have today and it was a beast i remeber racing this old fogie accross my lake he still remembers today just seeing me holding on and hiding under the handle bars.. it was a bit much at first but i got to know it and i love it. but what i would suggest is any ext model or wildcat there awsome machines i think that they look better than many other machines out there today and there light and easy to handle.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thats a great sled for a teenager. I started out on a jag 440 which is quite comparable. The z s have the same frame and comparable suspension as a zr or zl. Can't go wrong. I agree the price does seem a little steep.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A Fine choice, handles well, and plenty fast for a teen. It is not worth any more than about $2000, maybe slightly more from a dealer because it will have a warranty.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by boggs@Nov 1 2002, 11:17 PM
how bout from a teenagers point of view
i'm 15 i had the same sled for me it was good for about a month but for me it wasen't fast enough. my dad sold it for me a week later. he bought me a 96 ZRT 800 which i still have today and it was a beast i remeber racing this old fogie accross my lake he still remembers today just seeing me holding on and hiding under the handle bars.. it was a bit much at first but i got to know it and i love it. but what i would suggest is any ext model or wildcat there awsome machines i think that they look better than many other machines out there today and there light and easy to handle.
Your dad must have alot of faith in you to move you from a 370 to an 800 ZRT.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Definitley a great starter sled for a teenager :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sound like a good sled for a teen. When I was 10 I learn on a 72 el tigre 340 with a done up 440 race engine in it. I took that sled down the Ice at about 75 mph at half throttle :D . Now 20 and still got the sled I`m restoring it right now I brought a newer sled(96 ext580) that has suspension.

·
Registered
442 Posts
how much experience does this particular 14 year old have, also how tall is he and how much does he weigh that should also have some say in whether a 370 f/c will be enough for him in a few years

when i was 11 or 12 i started out riding a 97 ZL 440 which has about 68 horsepower compared to the 370's 37 horse i wasn't that big but had no problem handling that sled, and with a 440 L/C you dont have an over abundance of power nor do you have a lack of power it also had a very forgiving suspension which handled the bumps very well

point being avaluate your son's experiance, size and weight, and make a decision from there. i would suggest getting a sled that he wont grow out of in a few years and buying a newer sled like that you will really take a beating on resale in two years or so when he wants something different

·
Registered
133 Posts
In the 70's I started out on a 292 lynx which if I remember correctly had 20 horsepower. I of coursed pushed it as much as I could and it would run 40-45 mph back then. Unless you ride with your son he is going to test what ever size you get him, If he is out riding with buddies it's a given. I have a son who is 14 also, I debated an older 440 zr lc for him or our ZL 600, I plan on taking him on enough rides so I can teach him the proper rules of sledding, teach him his limitations and the sleds, and hope when he does ride with his buddies he shows some commen sense...

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
He will grow out of the 370 fast.... My suggestion is to go with the Z-440... that should last him longer, its a good starter machine, and it can get up and go.... I would not recommend a ZRT 800.... and i dont know why any father would let his son jump from a 370 to an 800... it took me 8 years of following dad before i was even allowed to buy anything faster then he had. I think that it should be progressive when considering sleds... start him out on something like a 370 or 440 fan first so he can learn the limitations of a fan sled then when you think hes ready step him up to a liquid... 440,500,550,600 at most. My father did this with me and my brother and we have both turned out to be pretty good riders who respect our sleds and the trails... just my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
try a z570, you can find good deals on last years model
around 70 hp, still light and easy to handle
a 440 single carb only puts out about 44 hp unless you get the snopro 440 fan, another good sled when he is big enough and aggressive enough as a rider

·
Registered
428 Posts
I learned on a 89 jag 440 fan probably about same horse power and was light also a great starter sled until last year it was my only sled and i rode with guys on 600cc+ sleds. In my mind its easier on a smaller sledto become a good rider that can really handle a snowmobile through corners or whatever than on a bigger, more intimitating sled. In the end it will make you a better rider.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My friend who is 14 (I am 14 too) has one and he really likes it, it keeps up really well with my phazer till about 45 then I rip past it .(clutch mods help out lots :p )

Suspension wise he will not outgrow, AWS V or whatever is their standard is on it. It really is a nice sled, my friend bought his for 4000 with el. start and reverse. He hasn't outgrown it in my opinion, he doesn't like to ride it wide open when we are on the lake because "it is just too fast" but then again he is new to riding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a ZL-500, Z-440, & a Z-370 in the family. My daughter and my wife use the 370. I ride the machine sometimes and love it. Contrary to most everyone else on this site I really dont care about traveling at 100 miles an hour or beating my buddy. The machine suits our needs just fine and will for many years to come. Just for the record, the 370 will beat the 440 off the line and hit over 70 miles an hour with my 95 lb daughter aboard. I just added 48 pics to the machine today. It was real squirly in the back end. Probably because it is so light.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great input. I presently ride a zl 500. What a great sled. Got it at the end of the season last year. He hasn't ridden it yet. He is small and light. (105). Has a good head on his shoulders. I would prefer a 440 or 570 fan but this deal has come our way and wondered if it was worth taking a chance on it. Would it really meet our needs? The guys I ride with often do 100+ mile days in up state NH. Undoubtedly a larger sled would be better though I don't expect he will be going very often on such trips. Truth is, money is an issue plus I don't want to get into anything pre 97. What to do?????

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would look in the immediate area for a Z570, most likely it will have carbides of some sort and probably a better brake than the Z370. I have taken a spin on a Z370, and possibly it wasn't running perfect, but man was it slow. Great if you have several children that it can be handed down too, but not so great if you want the sled to last for a while. The suspension on the Z370 was butter soft (problably OK for 105 lbs) and their is not much to adjust on this very basic version.
We were told that our's (2000 Z370 with maybe 600 miles )is worth about $1600 on trade-in.
Last year's Z570 or even a little deeper into the season for the 2003 Z570 would be a better overall value if you plan on someone sticking with the same sled for a while.
Not much of a weight difference i don't think
....more than you want to know-sorry-i ramble

1 - 20 of 22 Posts