Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my wifes stock 01 z440.

sled started out not starting at all.80 pulls and nothing. replaced plugs added gas in spark plug holes, I had spark, but gas wouldn't get ot it.

pulled the carbs and cleaned them along with the fules pump and replaced the filter. I drained the gas tank also and replaced the gas.

Now, I can start it with 2 pulls. but it will not run without constant throttle. I can't keep it idling. I turned in the idle screw and i can tell it ildes higher (sled has no tach). If i do not give the sled throttle, It will run for 30 seconds then slowly die.

Now, i am stuck. I've pulled the carbs again and abd an looking things over. but i cant think of what else may be the problem. I don't think it's the stator, seeing it runs "ok"at half to pull throttle. but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
This is my wifes stock 01 z440.

sled started out not starting at all.80 pulls and nothing. replaced plugs added gas in spark plug holes, I had spark, but gas wouldn't get ot it.

pulled the carbs and cleaned them along with the fules pump and replaced the filter. I drained the gas tank also and replaced the gas.

Now, I can start it with 2 pulls. but it will not run without constant throttle. I can't keep it idling. I turned in the idle screw and i can tell it ildes higher (sled has no tach). If i do not give the sled throttle, It will run for 30 seconds then slowly die.

Now, i am stuck. I've pulled the carbs again and abd an looking things over. but i cant think of what else may be the problem. I don't think it's the stator, seeing it runs "ok"at half to pull throttle. but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

any thoughts?[/b]
I'm not sure it applies to yours, but some of my older Cats had throttle safety switches, if the throttle cable was too loose it would activate the kill switch. Try to take all the slack out of your cables by adjusting the cable where it comes out of the carb. This might cure your problem.

·
10,054 Posts
Im wondering if your problem isnt in your idle circuit,,, may be wise to pull the carbs again, reclean your pilot jets and then make sure your idle screw is set properly. I do not know where yours is to be set off the top of my head, but turn it out 1 1/4 turn from lightly seated as a starting point (unless you can find out where yours is to be set for sure)

you also have to wonder if maybe your impulse line on the fuel pump isnt great (maybe a crack in it),,, as it idles, your not getting as much pressure and your pump isnt keeping up with the carbs,,, Just a thought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter?? some of the paper element filters will foul up if they digest water.
(water reacts with the glue and they plug up tight)
Just a thought. :christmas:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
agree with puree. idle to 1/4 throttle is pilot circuit. if it runs fine from just above 1/4 to full throttle. sounds like you still have a plugged passage in carb or carbs. i use a set of torch tip cleaners to clean passages. becareful not to take out carb material.make sure small hole in pilot jet are not plugged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about my choke plunger? I'm at work so i am thinking...maybe that is stuck open? not sure if those symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It may be your choke... That is what I was thinking... pull them out and grab a vernier and if my memory serves me right... they should be 32 mm when the choke is not applied... make sure they are even... you might have to get a manual and double check the length for your sled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be your choke... That is what I was thinking... pull them out and grab a vernier and if my memory serves me right... they should be 32 mm when the choke is not applied... make sure they are even... you might have to get a manual and double check the length for your sled.[/b]

I think i got it to work.

I had the carbs out and clenaed most everything. took the choke plunger and went to town. there were a few scratches i got out of it and shined it up with fine steel wool. I also put a little white grease on there before putting it back into the carb.

I also replaced the fuel lines just to be sure.

Looks like it idles a little high, but after letting it idle for 10 minutes last night, I'll mess with htat tonight. I'm just glad it runs. throttle response really seems like it has improved too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts