Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wifes zl 500 appears to have a crankcase full of fuel had this sled given to me and don't know much about it. I started it before I knew of this problem to see if it would run and it does just acted like the carbs where full of crap thanks any help or direction you could point me in would be great

·
10,054 Posts
Hard to understand exactly what your asking for,,, it does appear a good carb cleaning would help but exactly what is the sled doing when you get it running?? you said the crank case was full of fuel and also said the carbs were dirty?? more info may help us help you diagnose the problem better,,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to understand exactly what your asking for,,, it does appear a good carb cleaning would help but exactly what is the sled doing when you get it running?? you said the crank case was full of fuel and also said the carbs were dirty?? more info may help us help you diagnose the problem better,,,[/b]
Sorry just a little flustered I've cleaned the carbs. It is bogging when the clutch engages. When I cleaned the carbs I pulled it over and and gas came out of the line from the crankcase to the fuel pump. Checked the fuel pump looks good. How do I get the gas out of the crankcase, then I could try starting it to see what it will do with clean carbs? thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Did you start it with the crank case full of fuel ? And it ran ? The fuel leaks into the crank case three ways, 1) Moving the sled on a trailer without turning off the gas line 2) The float needle is dirty or the seat is bad causing fuel to fillup the float bowl and come out the carb.

The line to the fuel pump is the impulse line , that cant leak pressure or the fuel pump wont pump hard enough for gas and it can bog. Now if the fuel is coming from the crank , well you have alot of fuel in the case and it should be very hard to pull over. If its coming from the fuel pump it might be a bad pump diaphram that would be third way gas would fill up the crank.

If you have a lot of fuel in the crank case first take out the plugs then take off the carbs and the reed cage and tip it on its side it should pour out .

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had this before. It is usualy caused by improper choke adj.. Make sure your chokes are not siezed in the carbs and that they seat all the way down when choke is off. There should be some play on the choke lever when adj. correctly. If that does'nt solve it I've seen it caused by a weak stator and a shorted out wiring harness also. Spark was too weak to consistantly cause ignition, but thats rare.

·
Registered
79 Posts
rmw,

There's a bit more troubleshooting to be done here.

Firstly, did the carbs need cleaning? Sediment in the fuel bowl?
If so, did you clean them thoroughly? ie: complete dissassembly, all jets & needle, and verified that all orifices were clear? Did the needle and seat seal properly? Did you do a leaktest on them? How did you synchronize the carbs? Is there enough choke freeplay?

Secondly, If the carbs are serviceable, and properly adjusted and synchronized, check the fuel pump diafragm. If it is ruptured, it will allow fuel to drain directly into the crankcase of the cylinder with the fitting, not the other.

If the engine doesn't start within the first few pulls once the carbs are full, don't keep pulling, or the crankcase will fill quickly, especially if you're using choke.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts