Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my 2002 ZL 600 efi clutch components to match a stock 2002 ZR 600 efi clutch setup this past weekend, and it made a HUGE difference. The ZL now gets up to 100mph quickly with tons of mid-range power. Instantaneous power at all speeds, its like a I have a different engine! The old ZL clutch setup seemed to have a little delay in releasing power. I don’t know why Arctic Cat would ever clutch them differently? If anyone reading this has a ZL, I highly recommend doing the same swap if your sled is the same year, or talk to AC dealer of what you can do for different year sled. All the extra performance for under $100!!! It is so much more fun to drive, like a new sled. It now engages at 4200-4300 and max rev at 8200. Thought I would share my newbie experience with anyone interested.

Here are the stock clutch differences:
The ZL has -53 helix, the ZR has -55/53 helix
The ZL has 52g weights, the ZR has 53g weights
The ZL has Red/White primary spring (Drive clutch), the ZR has Yellow/Green spring

I went to the AC dealer and bought the above parts (under $100), and my friend and I previously have only changed weights before, and we swapped all the parts in about 2 hours. No clutch-puller, no special tools, just a small torque T27 ratchet and wrenches. The weights were obviously no problem, pulled out the secondary clutch and the helix was simple, and hardest part about the primary spring was getting at the cover plate bolts. There were only a few inches to fit the ratchet so had to take our time. To compress the new spring, one guy just pushed on the center of the cover plate with piece of wood through the access hole on the side, and the other guy tightened the screws back on. Done. (The AC dealer said he would swap the parts and charge about an hour of labor, about $90-$100).

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The reason Cat does this

is a ZL rider is more apt to cruise so the clutching is less aggresive

While the ZR rider is the punch the throttle type that wants instant power,coming out of corners

You can make you ZR into a ZL or vice versa clutching wise

If you think the STOCK ZR set up is great

You should try a clutch kit or even try diferent setups

BTW ZR EFI is 55/53 while the carn ZR is straight 53 like the ZL

I have heavier weights 56g and a steeper 57/50 helix and dif springs

The up shift with the 57/51 is sweet compare to my 55/53 I had before

I love Cats as it easy to swap parts and try dif set ups

I got my 57/51 at a used parts dealer for $20 and spring for $10
will be trying other clutch set ups later on when we get more snow

Its fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool......Ya, if this "stock" clutch swap made this bid of a difference, I can only imagine what a performance/aftermarket clutch kit would do. How did you know what combination of weights with helix and springs to use, as they all work together? How did you know your max revs weren't going to be too high and you engagement too high etc....? Did you just have trial and error?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ask lots of questions on sites

and there is bound to be someone that has tried stuff

then try recommedations

that is what I did

1 - 4 of 4 Posts