Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a leftover ZL600 SS....in the past season, I've heard/read nothing but good about this suspension.  Some-
times you will hear someone say about a new feature "it's not worth the money", but I haven't heard that about this.  Does anyone have anything else to say about it.
Also, I'm paying about $6000.00 for it, I know it's not a steal, but I think it's a fair price?!?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Jim
Agood friend of mine bought the ZL600ss when it was released early in 01. Its a nice sled and he said it rode perfect. It was an early release so he had some problems with the way the piggy back resovoirs clamped to the shock. Cat fixed all of the stupid rigs for the production models then next fall. I would not buy it if it was the early release 600 beacause of the changes they made on the production model. I guess he liked it so much he bought the 800ss this year. The crappy thing was that the bulk head cracked and Cat warrantied  it but he had an 8 week wait for the part.......go figure,  Cat should have had the bulk head in stock.....so instead he took his current 800ZRcc left over from snow check(the guy didnt pick it up). Anyways he says that he misses  his 800ss because it had a way better ride and the orange hood was a rare eye catcher.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks H-man, that's 3 dealers w/same price.  Not to confuse anyone, this is a current sled, just said left-over because my season is DONE  

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got two Z570SS', and the best way to describe the ride is, it handles like a cushy normal ZL under normal trail conditions, and tackles the rough stuff like a ZR.  If you rode a regular ZL through the roughest stuff you would bottom out because of the "soft" damping rate of the shocks.  The SS suspension gives you the best of both style sleds(well, not as stiff as a cce).

Trust me on this.  My wife said her sled rode super smooth, but bottomed out on the small jumps.  I thought she didn't know what she was talking about so we switched sleds.  Sure enough, her sled bottomed out in the rough stuff.  Her electronics quit working and the shock went to "normal" ZL mode.  Mine worked fine.  Just hope the dealer can fix it right with no more snow to test it out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the SS rides from 1 to 7,  the ZL 1 to 4, the ZR 5 to 8, and the cce 7 to 10.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Jim,I think you should go for it.I never rode one,but hear good things about it.Next season we will have to hook up and run the water side by side at you know where

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good...should finalize deal this week.  This will be the wife's sled, I won't give up my ZR  
  But I can't wait to check the suspension out.

MXZ7, definately next year.  Did I tell you about the time I was crossing the water and some idiot came at me from the other direction....ya know I would have kicked some #@$ if I would have gone down because of him.  Was it still frozen over when you were up there last week??

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've finally gotten over the 400 mile mark with my ZL 600 SS, and so far I'm not too happy with it.  I started with the rear spring on the soft setting and bottomed constantly.  Bumped both sides to the middle setting and bottomed constantly.  Bumped both sides to the stiffest setting and bottom quite often.  I just basically figured that was as good as it gets and lived with it.  Over the weekend I spent a little time on a friend's ZR sled with the rear spring on the stiffest setting, and I didn't bottom it once.  I'm beginning to suspect that my Smartride isn't so smart.  Time for a trip to the dealer.  

·
Registered
403 Posts
From what I hear the front shock on the skidframe bottoms out all the time. The computer cannot compensate fast enough when you hit the ruff stuff.

All I know is when your skid bottoms out, you start to break suspention pieces real fast.

I guess I just dont get the concept of that machine...It cannot handle the rough stuff like a zr, so I guess it's just like a regular zl style suspention. If it cannot handle the rough stuff like it's supposed to do, then I cannot see the benifit of haveing it...not to mention if it breaks.

I think a regular zl would be better and less expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The computer is supposed to monitor the position sensors 1000 times per second, which would give a .1 Millisecond frequency.  But... whether the shock valve can actually respond that fast might be another story.  I realize that magazine articles are swayed by the all-mighty advertising dollar, but with all of the good things that have been said by the magazines, as well as by other riders, it makes me think that I just got a FUBAR unit.  Everything I've seen & read says that over the big stuff, the SS should be as stiff as or stiffer than the ZR.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the kind of info I was looking for but hoped I wouldn't find.  LOL  According to Cat's specs, the SS isn't supposed to handle the tuff stuff quite as well as the ZR, but should handle a broader range of conditions better than a ZR or regular ZL.

IROC, I sure hope you can get yours dialed in.  If you feel like you've done everything & it's still not right, let me know.  I will give you a phone # to a dealer who really knows his #$*@ when it comes to setting up a sled.  Hate to hear anyone spend the kind of money we do and not be happy.

So does anyone else think a regular ZL would be better than the SS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts