Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to conversion on my 03 Zl EFI SS,and I lost the SS.

I am haveing the front shock's rebuilt and revalved firmer.

The SS ( Smart Ride ) ride is gone----Saber/ Fire cat shock's bolt rigth in.

The rear shock's are also going to be rebuilt and revalved ....HOW EVER these arn't the standered ACT shock's I got. These are Gold body Act shock's the rear most has a small chamber on the body.....look's to be to soffen the first have of the shock travel and not effect the lower part......is this a good shock design ? How do these shock's work for agressize trail ?

I'm also looking for input on possably moveing the rear swing arm.....I have been told it's to change the spring rate and shock effect, is this true and witch way do I move it ? Can the front arm be moved as well ? I am looking for the lowest amount of spring pressure I can run, for cornering... while being able to have a firm suspension.....for jumping of course.

I'm also wondering about the front spring's....would the ZR have diffrent spring rate,there diffrent #'s but there also diffrent colors. So when I get my shock''s back how much spring pressure should I run ? I want to lower the front but still be able to hit the jump's hard.............so where do I put them.
Here's the part I can't figure out I bougth my sled with low miles.....so why were the front shock springs on up side down ???? Any taker's....maybe trying to change to spring rate...

I'm also looking at a EPI trail clutch kit. Are they good,what else would you run and why ?

What would be a good reed replacment,mine have some mile's and I figure I'd do them now. It's EFI with stock pipe. What work's good,with out spending a lot of cash. Should I just put new stock reeds in ? Do the reed spacers have any effect....are they worth the money.

I'm also replaceing my Oil pump,with the thougth that it's deffictive and stuck wide open.....any reason not to get a used one.

I already "unlinked" the rear suspension last year......and the ski's go up like they should.

So what else can I do to spice up the Cat....make it handel better or just look COOL ?

·
10,054 Posts
If you come across a zr suspension on ebay, you may be able to get it fairly cheap and I would say that is your best bet,,,, I am not positive that its a perfect bolt in, but it can be done with a little modification (if it isnt direct bolt in)
As for reed spacers,,, my opinion is to keep the $$ in your pocket.
I have always been told on reeds that bigger motors (more cc) give you better results. I personally would waste $$ on reeds for my 600, but others may disagree. I did put boysens in my f7 though,,, wont know the difference till we get some snow around here.
Front springs on the zr are different than yours,,, should be stiffer. You may be able to get zr springs on ebay pretty cheap also. I see them all the time on there.
On the oil pump,,, I wouldnt be afraid of a used one, but if you do get a bad oil pump, you may end up replacing your entire motor.
Clutch kit,,, I know nothing of the epi kit. I know how I come across mine though,,, LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny part is my rear skid isn't a standered ZL. The Zl rear shock was 2 inchs to long, however a ZR and the Fire Cat shock's were the same size. The Zl front shock was 1 inch longer,and took a bolt. My skid uses a cross shart throught the front lower shock eye. Like a Zr and the Fire Cat. I would have bought Zr shock's but couldn't find any that were complete OR that would be cheap rebuilds.

If my front springs are stiffer I'll be keeping those.....and there progressive spring's, do Zrs have progressive springs ?

So where do you get your clutch kit's ???

·
10,054 Posts
It may take some fab work to get the zr suspension in there, but it should fit.

On you front springs, they are different, but I am not sure how much.

Clutch kit is one of those acient chinese secrets. I would rather not throw it out on the net for the whole world to see.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The zr rear suspension is the same as the ZL SS rear suspension except for the shocks. Any ZR shocks will fit. I'm running a ZR-spec rear shock with heavy duty springs, and a ZR CC adjustable front skid shock with a 190lb ZR CC spring. My front suspension is still the stock ZL SS stuff for now, but I never really had much of a problem with bottomming the front of the sled... it was always the skid, especially the front of the skid. For this year I'm going to crank the preload on the stock ski springs and try to make it through the season. Next year I hope to rebuild the shocks to ZR specs and find some ZR springs. One thing you'll find is that most of the springs available are green, with a lot of reds and yellows. There aren't many black springs available, so you may need to plan on some spring covers to make them match your sled.

·
10,054 Posts
I had my front springs powder coated black,,, buddy works at a factory that does it and he did it for me for nothing,,,, still ended up getting shock covers to match the sled just to keep snow and ice off the shocks as much as possible,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts