Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a ZL550 (carb) at the end of  last season. We finally were able to really ride
over the last two weekends. (She is a great pilot and really knows her stuff&#33

She wants more "snap" out of her sled.
It will top out at about 95mph. She does not care about top end but wants that
440 type of feel in it.
Is there a way to modify a 550 to make it more responsive on the trails?
I think that my only option is to really work on the clutching.
-Are there aftermarket pipes out there?
-Will heel clickers work?
-What helix and spring combos are out there?
-Wll K&N filters make a "real difference?"
I guess in reality I am looking for a response from the people that have modified there
older Cougers or have Knowledge with this engine.
Any input will be helpfull!
Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would start off with a d&d clutch kit, and maybe even some track studs.  This would wake up the sled, and probably please the wife.

If the track is well worn, just get cheap studs.  You may want to even replace the track with a more aggressive track like a camoplast predator racing 1.25 snowcross.

newf

·
Registered
741 Posts
Taxicat. I wish you would have posted this Friday. I was up north and would have looked at my wifes cougar. I put a different helix and driven clutch spring in it. This sled has arm jrking power now, she almost doesn't like it because it pulls so hard. I am going up in a couple weeks I will let you know.If I remeber right it was a basic setup like off of a zr580 stock. That may be where I got it from, I know I didn't pay for it (its her sled right?) Is your zrt stock? Kevin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ZRT is pretty stock for the most part.
I have K&N filters and a pretty decent clutch
set up. I must say that I am very happy with the
sled. I will probably sell it for an 02' because I want the
new valves for the low end.

Let me know what you find out about the couger
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Taxixat, don't get the valved motor. It is slower stock then the non-valved motor. I know cat quit making new zrt600's but you can still get a new 01 or 02 model just ask your dealer, he has a list of all non-current sleds at the factory. I was told new t-cats for $6800.00 out the door. I know you can get them cheaper the dealer I talked to was a little high on his snow check prices. Kevin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am suprised to hear that. Thanks for the info. I guess that
old saying holds true. "If it aint broke don't fix it".
I'll check out picking up an 01'. With all the hype of the new
lightweight twins I don't think there will be any shortage of
the triples for sale.
Thanks  

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I messed around with the clutching a bit. It seems to be a
slight bit better but not great. I see what she means about
wanting it to be a bit more snappy. The sled has potential for real good performance but seems to need either aftermarket parts or some seriouse jetting. The sled has boggs through the whole fuel curve except at topend. I have jetted down the main and that seems ok but the rest of it sucks.
I am wondering if my pilot jet and needle are to rich. The air screw seems next to useless in helping.
(Of course my dealer(s) are of no help)
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts