Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 ZR 580 and am thinking about changing gearing before installing my BM clutch kit. Anyone change gearing on this sled and if so what did you change to? Looking for a little more punch off the line.

Also was looking at my rear skid and all those other holes in it :D !
I know the service manual says don't move locations, but, has anyone changed things up and gotten better results? Just curious

·
Registered
442 Posts
if i were you i would just get the clutch kit and leave the gearing alone i have a 96 ZR 580 EFI that i did a little clutch work to and i have it engaging about 4500 rpm and that thing rips off the line

i think you would lose more top speed than you'd want but if thats no object to you than go for it

the stock gearing is 20/39 i suggest that you go to a 19/40 because with that combo you will not have to get a new chain but just a warning your clutchs will be switched out at about 85 mph or so and you will start over revving you will need to keep an eye on the tach if you make that swap

i was riding my buddies sled which had the 19/40 gearing it was a 99 ZL 600 EFI and i looked down and noticed i was doing over 100 mph then i noticed what the tach read: 9300 rpm, i just about crapped myself im just glad i didn't blow it up since it wasn't my sled

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input...i think i'll just leave the gearing alone. what type of clutch kit did you use and how heavyare the weights? this is all pretty new to me but i already have the BM kit....just put on a DG silencer this morning..man does it ound different :D ever do anything with the rear suspension?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts