Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law got a good deal on a Camoplast 121" track with 2" lugs for his 97 ZR 580 last year. We had to put smaller drivers on it to accomidate the larger lugs. He says that on occasion the track seems to ratchet. Unfortunatly, the adjusters are as far back as they can go.

What is the easiest and most economical way that we can get this track a bit tighter? Can we die-grind the rails a bit so the rear axel can be pushed back a bit? Would you recomend larger wheels for the back axel? Thanks...

·
Registered
71 Posts
first make sure its the track and not the chain. i went through this last year. i installed a 1 3/4 and when it hooked up it would "ratchet". i tightened the heck out of the track and it didnt change. so i swapped my 2 drive axle out to a 4 drive out of a zr 700 and still no change. finally the chain blew off sending me over the bars. i replace the chain,gears, and tensioner, licked my wounds and what do u know it fixed it. one thing i found out during all this is when u convert to smaller drivers to fit big lug tracks, there is a greater chance that your track will ratchet because with the smaller diameter drivers there is less contact with track. my .02 cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ratcheting noise

I also had a ratcheting problem on my 800 MXZ, and it was my chain. The tensioner loosened up. But there is a fix if it the drivers slipping. Wahl-Brothers makes drive wheels that grab the internal lugs on the track, and also have the lugs to grab through the track windows,(square holes). They are designed for race type applications. Which they want to run a looser track tension, so there is not so much drag on the engine. But I am sure they would help in your situation as well. They are listed in the hiperf.com book as "NO SLIP Drive Sprockets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts