Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01' zr 600 will not idle on both cylinder but sounds like it does at higer rpm.
Please help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If its not efi then the carbs probably aren't in sink with each other. Check the idle screw, see if they are turned out the same as each other. If one is out farther than the other it will let the slide go down farther and cut the air off. The carbs must be in perfect sink with each other or it will cause it to run funny and not idle well. Turn the idle screw in on the side that is idling and count how many turns you turn it in and then turn it back out to that. What ever that side was turn the other side in and turn it back out the same as what the side was that did idle. If that doesn't do it turn it in 1/8 or 1/4 turns in until it does idle smoothly. Try that. If that isn't it, you may have bad reeds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is a 600 carb. I will try what was stated above with the carbs. If that doesn't fix it, I will look at the reeds. Any other help wold be great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do a compression check to assure there are no problems there. Also pull youre choke plungers out and make sure there not all gummed up. If they are dirty the plungers will not seat properly.Also make sure they are adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compression is good on both cylinders. Choke plungers and carbs clean. When I pull the choke engine soudns good. With check adjustments on carbs tommorrow. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did you try a new set of plugs? if so Check the reeds on the bad firing cylinder ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pilot jet is plugged in one carb. Let the sled idle for a few secs and touch the exaust manafold (careful). the cold side is the side that is plugged. If it won't idle on one side but runs on that side after 1/4 throttle i am sure the pilot jet is your problem.. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
01 WAS THE FIRST YEAR OF POWER VALVES. THE ORIGIONAL OIL FROM THE FACTORY HAS A HISTORY OF CLOGGING THE POWER VALVES. THEY MAY BE STICKING. I WOULD TRY TO CLEAN THEM AND RUN A FULL SYNTHETIC OIL, SUCH AS TORCO OR AMSOIL AND SEE IF THAT CORRECTS THE PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the help. It was a plugged pilot jet on the mag cyl. Also apv's were pretty easy to clean. Been using Amsoil from the time it came home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts