Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is what I think about mine. Cat rushed it out the door or they hired a bunch of people that just don't care. The primary clutch was loose, the ski alignment was way off, the exhaust manifold was loose, the spark plugs were finger tight, the track tension was way off, the thumb warmers were unplugged, the fuel tank was full off crap so the smart valves plugged, the speedo fogged, and the first few times it was out my 500 slapped it around out of the hole. A friend has the same sled in a 600 and he has had it in four times on the rear shock, it is in his garage right now blown out, and has had more smart valve problems then I have. Our dealer has three other sleds with shock problems and they are waiting on cat for a fix. Not all is lost though, since I corrected my problems the sled has ran fine and I have a clutch kit in it that has greatly changed the performance. I don't want to sound negative, but would like to give you an honest opinion. The 98 500 has been the best sled I have ever had so the 800 had big shoes to fill.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Snow Monkey has one, he should post and tell his story about it, he even changed his name because of it!

·
Registered
413 Posts
taconitehead, how do you know all of these things were wrong from the factory?  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if I picked up a new sled from my dealer and all was wrong that you said, I would be PO'd at my dealer.  Half of what you mentioned should have been picked up by the dealer.  Doesn't he start them and run them a bit before picking it up?  Other than the smartvalve problem, I haven't heard much of anything else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problems you are talking about sound like pre checks that your dealer missed thanks for info

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems...however, I have a ZR800, not CC, and love the sled.  Put about 1000 miles on it last year with no problems.  Great performance (95% of riding is on WI trails) and easy on gas and oil.  At the end of last year I put a set of DD pipes on it and clutched it this summer, so I can't wait to ride it this season.  Seems the harder the trails, the better this thing does.  Have fun and enjoy it, I would buy another.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some of the problems the dealer should have caught and others belong to cat. I corrected all of the items myself except the dealer took the tank off, flushed it and cleaned the smart valves. The shock problem on the 600 cce is all cats and between recurring smart valve problems and shocks it has not finished a ride trouble free yet. I am not upset with the 800 yet and was just saying what I have found on the cce's to look for. As for the 2001 800's, I have only ridden two of them and they were both rockets.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a 02 with 1200 miles or hammerdown mogul pounding fun.  Many modifications and much reliability.  I would say that the dealers you guys use ##### like the wind.  Blew many sleds away and towed many others home.  Would buy another one anyday.  Sorry you had such a bad experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '02 ZR800EFI CC and I did have the problem with the smartvalves. That is the fault of the gas tank manufacturer. They were delivered to AC with some type of powder in the tank that clogged the smartvalves. Other than that I haven't had one problem with it. I put 2000 miles on it last year and it is the best sled I have ever had/ridden. I would highly suggest picking one up.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Why was my post removed? I almost forgot about it? It was quite funny.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sled Dogg @ Aug. 09, 2002, 9:45pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why was my post removed? I almost forgot about it? It was quite funny.
Caleb[/b][/quote]
Not sure what happened to your post.  I don't think any other mods would have removed it, but I can't remeber what you said either.   Just re-post it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It was kind'a funny this weekend, I was at the dealer looking at a leftover Pantera for the wife, and on the handlebars was a handwritten note (obviously from the shop) "NO FUEL PUMP".  Geeee, do you think they're ready to admit they had a problem last year?  Unfortunately, those problems will surely resurface this year w/so many leftover sleds out there!  I wonder how many fuel pumps were wrongly replaced because they couldn't isolate the problem with the tanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
2 Fuel pumps
           1 servo motor for power valves
           1 temp sensor
           2 Front skid shock and remote adjuster problem(dealer prob)
           1 seat problem

My dealer told me that he stuck a flashlight in the tank and said there was no debris in it so he didn't take the tank off to clean it out!!! There is no excuse for stupidity!!! Now i will be doing all the work myself so I am not stranded on the trail again!!! I did all my complaining last winter so enough is enough! Seems like they made a bunch of lemons and some good ones!!! Hopefully I will have better luck this coming winter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Problems I have experienced with my 02 800CC:

2 front skid shock remote adjuster rebuilds
1 new skid front shock replacement
1 blown hose on skid front shock to remote adjuster
1 grenaded recoil witch also took out the stator, flywheel, pick-up sensor and a few other misc parts(had to wait 3 months for parts.
2 sliderail replaced due to oblonged holes where the rear skid, front shock mount thru the rails.  

I have experienced no fuel pump problems or APV problems at this point, the sled has 1900 miles on it.  I'm sure glad it came with the 2nd year warranty though...  

-JPL

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Now that you mention it.....i have heard of the recoil problems as well and a problem with the lower coolant hose rubbing on the bulkhead and overheating the engines !!!
I haven't had these problems myself!!!!but know of people who have

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sorry Monkey and JPL, guess it wasn't so funny..
 I forgot about all your problems S.M....hopefully we'll get a lot of snow this year and you can log some miles on your sled.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Tell me about it S.M., there's nothing like waiting 11 months to trailer your sled 600+ miles only to have something break on it and have to sit out or rent a sled at $100+/day for the rest of the trip.  That's why I believe in having a spare sled, which I don't at this time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
that's one of the reasons I just bought a 4 place trailer...to have a spare along on the longer trips, especially if we get another cruddy winter where every flake of snow we get counts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts