Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me through your experiences ,what is the best clutch kit for a 01 Zr 800, no mods, just can and gutted airbox. i dont do any mountain riding, thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in saskatchewan, ok i know nobody seems interested in the 800 cat no more, all ppl talk about is the 900, but somone must of had a 800 last year that they put clutch kits in and must of had good luck with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I updated my 01 clutching to the 02 setup it does pull harder longer! People talk about Goodwin can't speak for them myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just put in carbon tech reeds and a Goodwin clutch kit. Only rode it about 20 miles, low and mid range and response are better. No real improvement on top end. My buddy has a stock ZR800CC and will race him when I get a chance. Was thinking about changing to 25/38 gearing, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The guy that did my clutching is in Illinois, US...that's why I asked where you're from. His website is here. I told him I didn't want to get beat by any near-stock triples, and he assured me he would take care of that. His kits are custom made...he machines the helixes, weights, and springs in his shop. The bad thing is I am not able to tell you exactly what's in my sled, cause there are no part #'s. The good thing is, I took it up and down the field the other day, and it pulled extremely hard and well...can't wait to get it out on the lake with snow. Contact him, and he will discuss w/you what you want, and I'm sure he can ship a kit to you if you can get it installed. He is very thorough and has a very successful dealership and racing program.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2001 ZR 800le. I am running stock. Except clutch Kit. I have the D&D Agressive Trail Kit. pulls real hard and has a Wonderful Shift Rate for Trail Riding. The only problem is with there black spring 190/330 the Engagement is 4200rpms and comes in hard. I am Switching to the Heelclickers White Primary with shift rate of 170/33 which should bring engagement down to 3600rpms. The only other thing [non expensive] is to go to the 02 zr800 clutch set up . Good Luck. By the way how do you like your can? I am thinking about putting on a D&D quiet can. Thanks ZR

·
Registered
17 Posts
I notice a couple of people talked about updating to the 02 setup. How close is the 02 to being "spot-on" for a stock machine? What did they do different with the 02 than the 01?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 02 Set Up has heavier weights, Stiffer primary spring I dont know if it has a different helix and secondary spring. I think the 02 weights are around 72grms. I have heard from a few that put them in and Love them they even went up 1 size taller gear and still pulls great. I have not had a chance to ride one set up like this. My D&D is running the Big Dog Clutch weights at 82.1 grams. with a 190/330 primary. Pulls like mad. but I dont like the "neck snapping" engagement at 4200 so I am going with a 170/330. ZR

·
Registered
108 Posts
01- ZR800

66.0 grams with purple spring in the clutch

55/53 helix with yellow spring in the driven

02- ZR800

70.5 grams with purple spring the clutch

55/53 helix with red/white spring the driven

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks ppl for info, thanks jim for the info, i email tha shop with what i would like. hope it all works out. thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts