Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to line up against and ride a zr 900 on saturday.  I have a properly setup 02 800.  In a race the 900 is faster on the bottom but the 800 is faster mid and top.  Granted that the 900 was stock is still was not much faster.  from a dead stop the 900 would come out of the hole then the 800 would be on the bumper and slowly gain.  From a roll on start the 800 would win by a few sled lengths.  When i rode the 900it  had more low end but not as much mid and top.  the 800 was jetted, reeds, d+d breather, advanced timing and a slight head mod.  All trail mods because out of the 1200 miles this season 5 were racing so it is mostly set up for trail. Also some guy with an 01 T cat with d+d pipes got spanked by both of us.  I felt bad for the T cat it obviously was not set up properly.  At least it was a good last season ride for the Artic Dominance.  Also a few MXZ 800 showed up but would not line up.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Thats preaty good considering  your 800 is 150+hp and clutched. When bolth sleds are in stock form there is no comparison between the two. You can imagine what the 900 is capable of if it was clutched in. I know that the 900 has the same factory clutching as the 800 so the clutching is far from being satisfactory. I am glad to hear that the stocker hung in there with a mod 800.......when you shave the head doesnt that make it a mod??..........If the same time was spent on the 900 that you spent on you 800 do you think you would even be in the race.......dont think so.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My friend and i went to a lake last tues the 27th, He on is new zr 900 and me on my zl 800,,  His 9 had 200 miles on it mine had 700 miles,,  His sled came from dealer that knows how to set up sleds!  We did NOT have a neutral starter,,  out of the 4 or 5 dead starts he beat my sled every time out, except once, however once up to hyper speeds they were almost even, meaning he didn't pull away nearly as fast as from o to 70 or so,,  My friend is i little heavier than i also  
20 ibs or so,,  he also had a FULL tank of gas, i was about 2/3rds full,,  It was probobley  real world racing, where ya ditch and trail ride to a lake and do alittle racing with out tools and parts,,  P.S. those 1.25 tracks really dig in though!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
HP&torque
your friends 900 is set up then let me in on how much wieght he has in the primary and what helix he is running.....Just wondering.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my point was that the 900 will be a mean sled if it is set up correct.  It does not matter anyway because the zr 800 carb is extinct.  Setting up an 800 efi would be to much of a hassle.  For the few less pounds and the fact thay mine is setup for 8000 dollars (picked, reeds, jetted, timed, power breather, and slight head mod, reverse) if both sleds were available you could have a sled that is faster in the mid and top for less money.  but only the 900 is available so I will run my outdated dinasaur.  Do the same mods to a 900 and the sled should be nasty.  Every thing is the same except for the extra cc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sled-hed,  yes i will inquire about that, probably tomorrow ( the 2nd)  Although it is Possible that it was stock also,  My set  up quote could just as well meant that when they assemble them they take much more care in track alignment, ski algn, and so on, ya know at the dealer, he is kind of sneaky though
so i would have to physiclly look myself,,,,

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sled-hed  I apologize
 I got called in  to work today,,,, so did NOT get to talk to my zr900  bud,,  and now i work the rest of the week  
 will try 1st chance i get
  regards,,, Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts