Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the release confirmation last night ( 01-09-02 ) and it's coming . Along with this was the confirmation of the end of the Thundercat. I'm not sure if we should be excited or sad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Been riding Cat since 1977, this was the last straw........
Make room Ski-Doo, here I come, unless you to are killing the triples.......
Thank you T-Cat for all the great years........

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Thats sad.  I guess from now on its 4 strokes and twins.  700,800,and now a 900twin.  Theres no diffrence maybe a few more mph top end and a little better accel.  

It also seems the higher they go with the twins the more problems and non user friendly they become.  

I hope skidoo keeps the mach now.  With out the thundercat its just polaris and yamaha and I think polaris is droping out.  Maybe in a few years yamaha will have the fastest sled.  

We can still fight to try and bring it back.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
all good things must come to an end, but in order for them to keep around a triple there has to be a market for it. I think that with the expensive price on a new triple and the amount of people that can afford it, its a tuff sell. I also heard rumors of them ditching the Z370 because of low sales and the fact that the sled is a slower Z440 for only change less. The Z370 was a good winner in the cheapest snowmobile category. Dont be suprised if others start to drop triples too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, since A/C made their stupid decision they have just lost another customer.

Guess I'll have to buy a new Mach-z or a SRX next year.

Thanks Arctic cat.

:angry:

·
Registered
203 Posts
MachZ, it's to late their gone, people want to run around on their twins searching for more power, but really they don't want more power, otherwise the T-Cat and Mach Z would be the top selling sleds.
150 hp, big flipping deal, try 168-172 STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can sympathize with the three cyl customers but have you had the chance to ride a comparable two cyl.  I have always favored 3 cyl riding zrt 600 and 800.  Bought a zr 600 in 98 was not happy so continued to ride my 96 zrt 600 because it was much smoother.  02 bought a zr 800.  Love the sled.  A little rattle at idle but as smooth as any triple when on the throttle.  The motor pulls hard and the sled is light.  Corporations are always going to lean toward what the masses want and right now it is two cyls.  Think back to the beginning of time.  It was one and two lungers.  Then became the baby triple revolution.  Then big displacement heavy triples.  Now it is trail power to weight ratio.  You can't blame them formaking things better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Where did you get your info from Wanna Be?  If it is true I hate to see the triples decline.  My first sled was a 98 ZRT 600 and I loved it.  It rocked.  Although, if one of the major complaints about the big twins in the shake, my tip 600 rattled more than any other twin 600 I ever saw.  Go with the flow for now.  Triples will come back into style some day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could this 700 be the sled that the other post reported as the dealers receiving a fax of a sled producing 150 HP?  Do you think it is possible, and if so why would they build an 700 that would out perform the 800's?  Maybe next year they drop the 800 and go with the 700's and 900's?  That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
ArTeeCat.  There is no comparable twin.  My favorite part about the triple is that when you hit the 100mph zone instead of nosing over like a twin the triples just take of.  

If arctic cat is killing the triples they are ignoring a small percentage of ac riders.  I dont care how low the number of us triple riders are they are ignoring us and obvously dont care.

The saddest part is that in a few years the fastest sleds will have been made in 2001 and 02 and the new models still probably wont win.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are supposed to have one 900 delivered to us by Jan.20th
I'm not sure who Snorat is getting his info. from , I'm just telling you what I've seen myself.

·
Registered
884 Posts
7c, I agree with you, I do not know where snowrat is getting his info, but obviously he does not know people at the factory as well as he thinks he does.  The 900ZR's will be at the dealers in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Machzzzz,
my zr 800 with with tweaking I have done is ten times the sled my zrt 800 was.  The trail riding I do is 0-100 mph perfect for my sled.  People usually done ride much at 100 plus.  I would be happy to line my zr 800 against any triple you got!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Triples are great if your a lake rider, but what's the percentage?  On the trail, a triple is just heavy and sucks gas. They really don't perform the way they were designed unless your running across lakes.  Don't get me wrong, triples are nice machines but if the market isn't there then why keep producing.  Cat has been around along time, they know how to make marketing decisions.  They're not going to take something away if it's so great, nor are they going to keep something for a few(or couple).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh come on, what do you strap the sled on you're back and walk the trails. If thats what you do then yes the triples are probably a little heavy. I've ridden T-Cats and ZRT's on the trails, mountains, lakes, ditches and anywhere else since 95 and I wouldn't give a plug nickel for a tinny vibrating twin.
ArteeCat you got the talking part down, but it's to bad I wont ever be able to watch you with you're Ditch Pickle 800 run against a Mach or ZRT 800/T-Cat.........

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dealer hads 3 new 900's comming by Feb 1!! Arnie (my dealer) is sad to see the gino go ??? But i herd something about a new 1050 triple by Polaris in a X chasis!! :0  Has anyone else herd this? :0

·
Registered
24 Posts
boatmaan, I own a 600 triple and get the same gas milage as the zr500 I RIDE WITH. A Little heavy but not that bad. A/C is making a big big mistake. Long live the triples

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is my first year on a tripple.  I've been riding for 25 years.  I LOVE TRIPPLES!!!!!!  My buddy has a Viper.  His sled is 100 pounds lighter.  When he's in front, I'm right on him.  When I'm in front he's a few km behind!!  Long live the TRIPPLE TRIPPLE!!!!!!!!

I don't want to see the tripples go, but I think Cat is comming out with an incredibly powerful 4 stroke!!  Yam has the R1, I think Cat has something better!!!  Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think a 900 twin rocks!!A riding buddy of mine was a tripple ac man for years...until he rode my '01 zr800.When I beat him out of the hole stock,that was all it took.He asked me if he could take 'er for a spin,and promptly ordered a x-country 800 over the summer.He loved it!!!Now when I order my 900,he may have to do the same.Does anyone know if a special addition 900 is on tap for a spring order???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts