Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my wifes 02 ZL600SS ESR and was looking it over when I noticed that the rear suspension arm settings are different the my ZR 800. Does anybody know what the correct stock position is? The ZL is in the hole 2nd from the front. The ZR is in the hole 3rd from the front. Which one is correct or are both correct? It seems like if you move it forward that it would get stiffer and if you moved it back it would get softer. If you move the arm do you have to change the shock position. Also the Front springs on the ZL are set to be in the middle of the adjustment range and the ZR are closer to the bottom I know that if you increase spring pressure you increase ski pressure but where do you start from? :hallo2:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes they are likely both right. The place to start would be with everything except the rear springs in the stock position, then adjust the rear springs as per your weight. Wait till the snow flies. If it doesn't perform how you wish it to, then by adjusting ONE THING AT A TIME adjust the section of the suspension that effects the condition you wish to change. Far too many people never get it right simply because they change multiple adjustments at the same time. The stock settings are normally very close for most riders.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How do various settings effect the sled?

I was told that the ideal front spring setting was equalizing the up and down travel of the shocks. Should travel up the same distants as when the front shocks are pushed down. Sound right?

How about the other adjustments?

Can anyone explain?

thanks..... ???

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys but I was hoping to find out what stock was. I bought my sled used so I ave no idea what stock is and the owners manual sucks. It doesn't tell you anything about the suspension or even what the engine rpm is. i don't even know why they give it to you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rick but I have no respect for dealers they lead you astray every time. Both machines came from dealers. The dealer I bought 800 from didn't even call me about the recall so he's toast. The dealer I bought the 600 from didn't seem to have any mechanics around yet. I'm waiting for my service manual hopefully the information is in their.

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to my 2000 performance manual, these holes are model specific. There is a caution in the book about making any changes. Here's how it reads.

"It is extremely important that all stock mounting locations be used. If any alterations to the skidframe are made, shock absorber and suspension damage may occur."

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If you purchased the current service manual (CD or books-x2) it does have that info.
CD#2270-061 (2002 version)
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I 'll wait till my manual comes in. How is the performance manual? Is it worth the $50.00?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts