Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a used 2000 ZR600 EFI and had a chance to take it out last snowfall for a mere 40 mile ride - overall the machine is in perfect shape and has been well maintained, it has 2200 timid women miles on it :)
The machine is real responsive and rides ...almost perfectly. It seems sometimes off the start it has a slight bog - feathering the throttle clears it up and I am off - this doesn't happen all the time though, it seems to happen after a sudden decelleration/acceleration and twice it stalled - it starts right back up with one pull and everything seems fine ?
I filled it up with premium leaded fuel and rode enough to clear any that was sitting in the fuel line so that should not be the issue - the plugs were a little wet but the burn point was a nice chocolate brown.

One time it did backfire as well ! I really have only rode it for a short time so I am not really worried at this point but I would like to know if anyone has any insight into this so I can check a few things before the next big dump comes along (this weekend hopefully)

Thanks,

Bar2Bar

·
Registered
91 Posts
A couple of things come to mind.
1. First and most obvious is the plugs. Being its a new sled to you, check the plugs or better yet just replace them.

2. Belt and clutches..... what kind of shape are they in? When where the clutches rebuilt last? If ever?

3. How about water in the gas? If it is aold gas, it is OK to put some isopropyl in the gas to get the water out. Don't use to much though.

4. And lastly I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the throttle safety switch. I was able to diagnose this by reading in the manual where it said you could dicconnect the throttle safety and kill switch circuit TEMPORARILY to get it home. When I did that my problem went away. I checked with the dealer and they have a new-old version of the throttle shaft seal that appears might solve my problem. I have not been able ride this year to test this out, but I will post this to let ya know.

Let us know what you find the problem to be, so we can all learn! SWRules

Good luck and enjoy your ZR 600 fuelie- :D she's a crisp running sled!!!! :D

Maxwell

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2000 zr did the same things that you described. I disconnected the throttle saftey switch like Maxwell said and it solved the problem. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
The same things happens to my zr. It might be somethign that you said but on mine it is the stator. You might need to have it rebuilt or wired. Unless you have 700$CND for a new one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's.

I think I am going to replace the plugs first and then see how it responds - if it continues then I will disconnect the safety switch.
Here comes the retarded followup question : where do you disconnect this thing ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I remember it is the three wire black,purple and brown wire connector coming from the handlebar assembly. If you have the owners man it will tell you where this connector is located.

Good luck

Maxwell

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cussing: well my bogg has returned with a vengence. After I had the h20 removed from the lines it seemed fine but that was only a 30 minute ride - since then it has got much worse and seems to bogg more and more each time I take it out.
I am now going to disconnect that damn throttle safety switch and hopefully that will be the end of this problem !!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Has anyone mentioned the Throttle Position Sensor (I don't think that is the same as the Throttle Safety Switch). I know I had to have mine adjusted on my '95 ZR (it would bog - like you describe). It's run great ever since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard of that. If disabling the throttle safety switch doesn't do it - I will try that next.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem with my 98 ps 600 efi it was the throttle safety switch soon as disconnected it no more problems hope that solves your problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well this problem is finally resolved. After taking a closer look the tab the pushes the throttle safety swith had been removed already so it appeared that this was not the problem - but, disconnecting the entire wire group that goes to the throttle safety switch/kill switch was definetly the fix for this problem - it's almost like a different machine.

Anyone that thinks the throttle safety switch is the reason their zr boggs should just disconnect the entire connection rather than just the safety switch - you wont have a kill switch but your sled will run alot better, :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reading your post sounds like my problems last year. After i disconected the wire it ran like a raped ape for about a day then died. This fall I found out the stator was cooked. My theory is the kill switch goes bad and ends up burning out the stator. hopefully you caught yours in time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Even after disconnecting kill switch or installing jumper that should be in your tool bag. Check play in throttle lever more than .30 is too much,but don't go too far and affect low idle. B oth deals helped my sled big time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts