Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to ride not play with my sled can you save me some time? Started riding three years ago. First sled Polaris 700 xc sp. Out of the box this thing handle great, I ride aggressively. My second year riding I was one of the fastest trail rides in our fairly fast group.
Bought a ZR900 (decided against the Firecat for now) this year, took it out for the first time on Monday. Its fast for sure but compared to the xcsp The skis push out big time, it lifts the inside ski a lot and tries to throw you over the high side on a regular basis.
I noticed the front spring are already cranked up tight. Can anyone suggest how I might adjust the machine to cure my concerns?
I'm 200 lbs and want to attack the trails. :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
First of all, Cats are not the same as Pols........They're better! Just kidding, they do handle a little different. You will find people that will descirbe it as cats "like to lift the inside ski a little but then rail the bend" The lift is not excessive, but you will get used to it, expect it, and compensate for it, then you will be able to handle bends with the best of them. As for suggestion other than adjusting the front springs: Add more carbide, less studs, or add more ski pressure by adjusting the limiter straps under the sled. So being a Cat and 900, it will handle a little differently than the XC SP, but once adusted properly it will be just as good. My previous ZRT 600 liked to lift that inside ski a little, then it would rail. Good luck to you and let us know if you get it set up, I'll be picking my 900 up in a week or two.

Oh, yeah, the similarities are uncanny between you and I. PM me if you get it set up and your thoughts on the sled. With all the posts of the F7 beating the 900 has me thinking twice before I pick it up next week. Convince me to stick with the 900.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It took me a while to get used to the ski lift through turns. I rode a lot of ATVs, but my ZL 600 EFI SS was my first sled (other than riding an 86 phazer, but that was too slow to lift anything) and I got REAL nervous when I'd see that inside ski come up. Once I realized that the sled could still steer just fine with 1 ski, I got a lot more comfortable and eased into some more agressive riding. I found that as long as I sit right at the tank, and lean into my turns, regardless of how high that ski lifts, the sled turns smoothly and predictably. So far I haven't had any problems with my Polaris and Yamaha friends pulling away from me on the trails. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not that it matters a lot... But I like the ski lift. Makes the sled look like its got a Big Block Chevy under the hood when it torques that ski up. I have no complaints about the sleds cornering ability. If it is a problem for you, tighten up the limiter straps. That will help keep the skis down. Another option is to move the rear arm back in the holes. You will however lose some weight transfer and stiffen the ride. It does take alittle getting use to but once your comfortable ... Grip that bar and let her rip.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Riding my ZR580 and then jumping on my buddies 99 ZR700, I find the inside ski lifts as well... thought it had to do with the suspension height difference, but it turns out it was ski pressure!!

You will learn to like the way the Cats rock back on hard take offs and powering out of corners. Just like the last guy said... gives it that big block feel.
That sled has coupling blocks right?? Perharps set them one rotation higher?? Adjust the springs up one notch as well.
Yah, I know its a 580... but my sled rails... no leaning out, just sort of shift your body forward and into the turn.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Newguy, Cats are kind of known for that ski lift...sorry. But it won't even phase you once you have a little more seat time on that 900, assuming you tinker w/the above mentioned adjustments to get the sled to your liking. I have one ski up in the air all the time, and I guarantee you I ride very aggressively...it's never been a problem. I have to wonder though, if the skis are pushing, how is the sled trying to roll over? Seems like that would only happen if the skis bite real hard and the rearend swings around. One thing you may want to consider is the Quick-Adjust limiter so you can adjust the skid from the driver's seat. This will only be effective if you have all the other adjustments in line for your riding style.

Good luck

·
Registered
310 Posts
sounds just like my mxz :(

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like the ski lift myself too. The first few times I think it made me pee my pants, thought I was going to roll it. But once I got a little seat time and felt more comfy. I can throw that little cat around like the ##### it is. :p :p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well mine just seems to pull to both sides when Im going over 35mph in a field w/ snow. sometimes it pulls to the right, and other times the left.

·
Registered
337 Posts
After owning a '99 ZR700, riding my '02 ZR800CCE I wouldn't know there was any ski lift. The coupling blocks make all the difference. ZR's don't need the ski springs tight. Stock ski spring settings, 1/2" up on the strap adjusters and you're in business. Longer than stock carbides are a must though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like the ski lift...thats how I got my nick name...we also ride pretty hard and I learned to just deal with that knot in my gut and I love it now!! :hallo1:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love the ski lift too.It just let's you know that you're riding the best darn sled ever made......... :) :) :thumbsup: :hallo1:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Once you get comfortable with it, you'll learn to power through it!! When the ski comes up, you give it more gas!!! Obviously you dont put it to the bar, but you'll get the hang of it & it will be second nature!!
Then all of your non-Cat buddies will be far far behind!!! :p

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would go back to the stock settings and inst more carbide, 8" should be lots. Nest check the toe settings and if OK take it out and ride for a bit. If it still doesn't suit, trying adjusting one thing at a time and note what it did or didn't do then go from there. You'll likely find the factory setup to be pretty darn close.
Getting off a Polar Bear onto a Cat, it might just take you a bit to get use to your new ride.
Enjoy,your now riding the best.
:) :D :p
Rick.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Riding a cat is a different experiance...when your ski lifts up, just get used to running around a corner with one one ski dug in...once you get used to it, you will realize that you only need that one ski to carve a turn.

Believe me, I felt like I was going to tip over for a while, but since then and learing to trust the machine and how it responds, it's like second nature now-I dont even think twice about it.

:hallo1:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
my buddy has the same problem on his zr800,we have been trying to find a aftermarket company that sells a widening kit,i put one on my zx and zero ski lift,but mbrp doesnt make them for arctic cat

·
Registered
91 Posts
Panteraone,

Look at BM or Fast for the BLT suspension. It widens AC front ends to 44 inches!

Maxwell

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i know about the blt but to pricey,he doesnt want new shocks,although it is an excellent kit,thats why i like the mbrp,it relocates the shock and widens stance 3" and is a good price...$280 cdn,does black magic sell a widening kit?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I really don't think a widening kit is the answer. Try stiffening the arse end springs. When the sled turns all the inside weight transfers to the outside ski and skid. If the arse end sinks (as newer AC's rear springs are prone to do) the sled rolls outward lifting the inside ski. That's why the '02 coupling blocks help the problem. The rear has less opportunity to collapse when the turning.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
:withstupid: ...don't do the widening kit. At this point, that would just be putting a bandaid on the situation. There are way too many adjustments that can be made first.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts