Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a comparison between apples and oranges but I got so tired of listening to the dealers, district reps, and my buddy who just traded in his ZRT 800 for a new 900 on how this new 900 could beat the triples. Well it didn't happen, I ride with a 00 T-Cat short track, my 00 T-Cat mtn cat and this 900.
We ran down the AK pipeline for about a mile and I dusted him by about 3 lengths. He had me for about the first couple hundred feet or so until I hooked up and then it was bye, bye ZR.
The ZR 900 will be a good sled but it's no big bore triple.
I bet he wishes he kept his 800.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I havent finished clutching yet I only have 120 miles. My clutch combination... when I am done might not work as well for him because I 136" long tracked mine and I have a 1.5 " lug track. So far all I have done is jet down one size and gear it 23/40 and it works really good. That Mach Z that I raced caught up to me in mid range but I top ended him.....even with the longer track......I know that the primary needs more wieght..like 76-78grams and the stock helix doesnt work maybe try a 62/50 or a 57/50 ......I cant tell you anymore because I dont know yet.....Good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ahhh, I like to hear this. MIne should run really well after I get it set up. I ordered a set of V-forse reeds for it and a powerbreather. I will order my clutch kit in a couple weeks. I am putting 192 1.175 studs in my 1" track. Somebody will also have a quiet pipe out that will work well also. Kevin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, you only beat him by 3 lenghths in a mile!!  Not bad for a sled that has one less cylinder and 100cc's less!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Get real........The 900 kills the 800 with ease and no tripple in a 1000 feet stands a chance........tell the guy to check the set up because mine is smoking fast out of the box but the other guy who bought the same 03 900 his didnt work as good as mine.......and for starters spend some money and change the track because the .95in lug doesnt hook up in any condition......just spins and spins because it has to much power in the bottom and the mid. so before you call down the 900 atleast try to level the playing field.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a good set-up for them?
He does have a 1.25 cross country track on, he doesn't have any problem spinning, I do.
He said he had good mid range and top end but soft on the bottom.
Were goiing to get it set-up this wknd.
Yea I was real suprised that he was still hanging around at the end, the other T-Cat was in the other area code but he doesn't really count.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would say that is VERY impressive to hang with a t-cat on top end, especialy over that distance!
  I would have never though it would stand a chance against the t-cat on top end, and 3 sled lengths over a mile is amazingly good IMO.  I think that your report CONFIRMS the hype about that sled, not the other way around...
Once he gets that baby dialed in, it should be quit the moster killer.haha

·
Registered
403 Posts
quote-"Get real........The 900 kills the 800 with ease and no tripple in a 1000 feet stands a
                                    chance........"

Are you kidding me? Anyone that would say anything like that is full of it himself. There is somebody always faster-be it triple or twin.

If anything is impressive, the heavy triple machine beating the lightweight twin should be impressive...yeah, it has 140 more cc's, but it also has 100 pounds more weight to get moveing and keep moveing.

As for the 900's being faster than a 1000, they will still be wrong about that. They tried saying that about the 800 when it came out-now they claim that with the 900?

Lets take a OLD 98 1000 box stock and race a NEW 03 zr900 box stock and lets see what happens. I know the outcome of that one.

I wont knock down the new twins-they are fast, but saying they are faster than a 1000 with 170 h.p. and more rpm's is just plain wrong. I dont consider anything under a quarter mile a real race either.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Say what you want hpzrt600 but Cat is claiming nothing.....I have the 03 900 in my garage and have already felt the power so I am not full of myself cat just has something to be proud of. As for 1000 foot races not being considered a race to you.....oh well thats what drag racing is I wasnt talking speed runs across the lake, just flat out drag racing. Tripples are a thing of the past and if you still have one of those dinasours you had better sell her now before people get a taste of the real high output twins........just kidding. But no word of a lie the 900 works good and tripple lovers should start to worry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FYI, ZR900 have a 867cc motor...not 900cc exactly. So, if your buds 900 was only 3 lengths behind in your race, that's really not bad at all. It's not only motor, it's weight. Those T-cats are really heavy. I've ridden them, they are pretty bad on the flats; but, don't try to ditchbang one all afternoon. You will just kill yourself. With proper clutching, gearing and tuning, the 900(867) is about the best all-around sled out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
sled-head-Cat IS claiming that. 2 friends of mine went to the factory last month and they did say that the 900 is faster than a T-cat.

Like I said, the new twins are fast-no doubt about it. You can really load those motors down and they will pull alot of gearing and clutching.

I know they can beat triples, I also know that triples can still beat them as well.

There is no argument on how fast they are. In fact, between a 600 class machine up to a 900 class machine there isnt a whole lot of difference in top end and acceleration. I have seen 600 twins hang right with 800 twins. It's almost to the point of why buy anything bigger? The 700xc polaris is 2 tenths slower than it's 800xc big brother in 1000 ft. Not much at all and certainly not worth the extra money IMO.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I can see your point hpzrt600. I know that the T Cat is faster on top anyone who says different is lying. And if the factory is saying the 900 is faster they should atleast tell the whole truth. I am am just very happy with my sled because I have never had a winner out of the box before. This sled is a respectable replacement for the Tcat.......even though I heard the Polaris XC 800 is still faster. I have yet to line up with one but that is the polaris chirp anyway. I think that Cat did a good job on the 900 engine by making it strong but not strung out so the durability is going to be good. sorry if I sounded like an a$$.....I am just proud Cat owner.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
OK, let's all meet out on a lake and we'll have a babe in a bikini wave her scarf and have a race, but I have to warn ya, my 1980 Pantera 5000 is tuned in pretty good now!!!!!

Don't doubt the 900....can't wait to ride one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does prove something, my T-Cat is a Mountain Cat. I have 20-39 gears, 54 gram weights, red primary, yellow secondary, and a 2 inch paddle. The elevation we ran at was about 3,000 ft off of what the clutching was set for and if you know anything my set up is for mountain riding not top end. I was over reving by about 500 rpms. So when the day comes that a 900 twin is that far off it's power band and can still beat what is considered to be a faster sled then I will buy one.
Besides I didn't bother telling how bad the short track T-Cat beat us..........

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sled-head-nothing wrong with being a die hard. You are right, the xc800's run real good-even the ones without the powervalves.

Last year on the lake, a guy with a non-powervalved 800xc was kicking everyones a$$. I was impressed to say the least-it was stock besides clutching and gearing-that's it!

I had a chance to ride a 02 xc800 3 weeks ago and let me tell you, I was impressed with it alot. That sled is awesome and very comfortable and fast. I used to own a Polaris indy before I switched years ago to cat. It was a good sled and fast but wouldn't steer worth a crap. The xc was a million times better. So my impression of Polaris has changed again.

If in 1-2 years there are no triples, I will probably go with a Cat or Polaris twin. I't really all depends on how well the rx1 runs and how it lasts as well. If it does what they claim, I may go that route...hopefully cat will get their $hit straight and have a 4-stroker like Yamaha's that runs with or beats current 2 strokes...it would be nice not to smell like gas all the time!

BTW-this was just a little friendly argument-nothing personal

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Black Magic Racing has some test data on their sit about the 900 Cat. To be honest it wasn't that awesome. 102 in 100ft. and with their kit they gained only 2mph on that to 104. My Mach Z 1997 stock except clutching turns 111mph in that distance. My 2001 Mxz600 did 100 mph also, which is only 2 mph less at Radar run 1 year ago, the first time out with nothing but jetting and being broke in, for $2000.00 less cha-ching. That 900 should be in the 110 range easy with it's less weight and 150 plus horse. I am sure it is a fun sled on the trails though. The F-7 should take this sled without tuning much, if the Black Magic results are indicative of most new ( hundreds.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I assume you mean 1000 ft. right?

Also, I would wait and see what D&D, PSI, and the other bigwigs come up with rather than going off of black magics info.  We all know their track record....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Okay lets just say the top speed is not as important as the ET. Who cares if the sled only does 104 in 1000 feet.....its how fast you get there.......If I am racing you and at the 660 foot mark I have 2 sled lengths on you do you know how much horsepower it takes to gain back those lengths and at the 1000 foot mark I maybe only going 102 or whatever and you might be going110mph but i still can still be ahead of you. Do you understand?? I have the black magic kit for my 800 and regardless of what they publish a stock 800 geared 23/40 croses the finish line first everytime......at a lower top speed....I know because all we did this winter was test the 2 800's against each other.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It was 1000 ft. sorry for the typo.  My 97 Mach Z is 104 mph in 660 ft. at 6.4 to 6.5 seconds on Brower systems, and PortaTree, I don't think the 9 will be ahead by 2 lengths. 0-60 ft. in 1.2 seconds.    200ft mark to 660 ft mark in 3.5 seconds. Anyway this acceleration is a blast.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts