Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to create a huge debate, but who has ridden a ZR and a ZRT w/the AWS V suspension?  My ZRT had the AWS IV so I really can't compare that to my ZR fairly.  A 2001 ZRT and 2001 ZR have the same suspension, so they should handle the rough stuff equally, shouldn't they?  The ZRT weighs a little more, that's why I'd like to hear from someone who has spent time on both machines w/the 5th version of AWS.

A

·
0 Posts
No they won't run equally, you will notice that running the zrt is like throwing a bull around, my 98 ZR600 was beautiful in the trails.  I was never tired especially riding all day.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I noticed immediately when I traded my '96 ZRT800 for the ZR, but I was curious how much better the ZRT's handled with the new AWS V.  You're still throwing around an extra 80 lbs or so.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The big difference that is noticable is in the rear skid for what your asking. I haven't found the IV or v to have noticeable difference overall.
Caleb

·
Registered
959 Posts
now if you were comparing a zrt and a tcat it might be the same they are both cows on the trails hit the lake and your gone.....the zr is so much  more controlable on a trail

·
Registered
349 Posts
Some of us have the ability to handle the ZRT, Try working out it might help you.  I did not buy my sled to race, I bought it to ride, and go fast when I want to.
I also like the ZR's but dont knock the ZRT.  

A

·
0 Posts
Not knockin' the ZRT, ZRT.  Just doing a bit of comparing.  I love my ZRT, it has the power when I want it.  It hasn't let me down yet. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Last two seasons I had a 98 ZRT 600 and wife has a 00 ZR 600.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the rear skid is the same, but the front is a little different.  I used to love switching from one machine to the other.  To be totally honest - I love both
  It's coparing apples and oranges, and totally objective.  For lakes, riding over bumps fast, and the outright power when it hit peak, I liked the ZRT better.  For twisty trails, acting like a sno-xer, jumping, and throwing the sled around, I like the ZR better.  The ZRT seemed much more stable and explosive mid range.  If AC still made triples, that is what I would have on order this year.  But they don't, so I have a 900 on it's way.  I'm sure I will enjoy just the same.  Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
It feels weird when going from zrt to a zr. me and my friend go out (he has a zrt 600 and I have a zr600) and when I drive the zrt it feels like a rock and it really stiff and stuff then you jump on a zr and it feels like a light little toy.  you can throw the zr around and ride over the bumps alot better.  thats my opinion.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like the ZR for the way you can throw it around, but riding my buddies T Cat is like wrestling with an ox, just my opinion.  We have more tight twisty type trails so he is usually at a disadvantage.  Also after riding, he is normally wore out, while I'm still ready for more riding.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My '96 ZRT800 was stable as ####.  I loved whooping up on my friends new Yamahas when my sled was 4 yrs old and basically stock.  There's just no way it would take the rough trails like a ZR though.  THat's why I thought maybe the '01 ZRT would be easy on the trails because on paper it's suspension is the same as my '01 ZR, the sled just weighs a little more.  Guess I'm just wanting the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Someone earlier in this said that some of you might need to hit the weight room, or something to that effect.  I agree totally, take your skirts off and ride one hard.  If you guys think 30 or 40 pounds make that much differece, you are mistaken.  Don't get me wrong, I ride a twin now, but never had any problems out running people on the trails with the ZRT6.  Long live the triples!!!!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Catrules, get a hold of your macho-self.  This is just a discussion of the difference in the two sleds, no need to go personal with the guys.  Besides, there must be a reason why you're riding a twin now!?!  A ZRT is about 75 lbs heavier than a ZR, not 30 or 40.  That weight will make a difference in a sled's handling, thus the reason for the original question.  I never had a problem handling my ZRT either, that's why I'm considering another one.  Oh, and if you want to ride hard, maybe you would like to meet my buddy and me in northern WI sometime for a game of tag!?!  

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own a '98 ZRT 600 and I love the way it handles.  My friend has a Skidoo Summit 700 and it seems like whenever we are out riding I am in front because my friends sled cant handle the bumps.  I have also noticed that with a couple other skidoos.  Why is that?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The difference with Skidoo's suspension is it is usually set up stiffer than the AC's.  We experienced the same thing on a trip.  One of the guys on an MXZ had to lag back and go slower because his back couldn't take the pounding the Doo was giving him.  It was smooth riding for us Cat guys.  He took a ride on one of the ZL's, he loved it.  Next year he bought a ZL with SS suspension.

A

·
0 Posts
This is the wrong comparison for the trail.  It comes down to the rider.  Alot of riders riding big sleds would get spanked by 440 sno pro's or any 440 set up for bangin' the trails.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jimmy F, calm down a little bit.  I'm not calling anyone out here, just stating that the Tripples are good trail sleds for people who can handle them.  Why would I want to drive all the way to Wisconsin just to "Play" with you guys, I know what the end result would be so I don't even need to make the trip.  Happy trails!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Riding a T-Cat is different than riding a ZR in that the T-Cat you don't throw it around you get up on the tank and steer it with the throttle. ( This is how they say you ride the Rev get up on top of the bars and lean over them )The front will stay planted, bring the rear around.

The ZR is more balanced front to rear and compared to the T is tippier in that you can lift the inside ski and ride it that way or shift your weight and drop it back down and lift the outside ski.

If the T starts lifting a ski your weight makes way less difference and if you let it get to high your in trouble. Rather than fight the bars around a corner get up on the tank and throttle the back around. Works for me anyway. You can push the T into a corner way harder than a ZR before the ski starts to lift sittin straight up.

To sum this up the T is more of a straight up, ride as far forward as you can, minimal lean, steer with the throttle type machine. Your arms will let you know you have put in a days riding but after a few outings you get used to that.

The ZR is a more of a body english type ride, it expects you to lean and can be cornered with the outside ski in the air the inside one hooking the berm made by everyone hugging the inside of the corner ( when your cornering to the left this works) power on spinning the berm in the middle of the trail down a little flatter. Its also easier to avoid sleds coming the other way.

Which ones more fun? Can I say both? OK I chose the triple on the trails with the long straights and lake runs. The twin on the real twisty trails with no or very little long stretches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts