Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to buy a ZRT 800 1998? Stuck, 4000 miles, $3650 can . It's mint condition but I don't know about common problem on these machine. Is it hard on fuel? Safe motor? Clutch? Suspension?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
'98 was a great year to the trips. That is also the first year they went with the TSL which is nice for trail riding. I know of some common problems on the '96s and '97s but haven't heard anything bad about the '98s. Enjoy the sled!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Doesn't that one also have the flat side carbs??

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The stators are know to have a short life span, cracked motor mounts, the safety feature to keep the carbs from freezing open would cause stutter problems a WOT and the kill switches had problems. You can bypass the safety switch though and they had a recall for it I believe.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Coolant line under engine rubbed and would wear through, some had troublesome water pumps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey avrecords, if your worried about gas mileage do not buy and arctic cat, I ride a 600 twin that is a gas guzzler, but if you like performance and not worried too much about gas mileage Cats the way to go.. those zrt 800's are rockets----- rick

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you take off pipes to paint them look inside of exhaust manifold check out piston, i've seen at least 3 800's that have seized the connectin rods due to the needle bearing breakin, not to say that they are all like that, but it's what i've seen,

·
Registered
516 Posts
Originally posted by SNOWFREAK@Oct 27 2002, 01:04 AM
Hey avrecords, if your worried about gas mileage do not buy and arctic cat, I ride a 600 twin that is a gas guzzler, but if you like performance and not worried too much about gas mileage Cats the way to go.. those zrt 800's are rockets----- rick
yeah i agree gas isn't too good on my '99 ZRT 800 most when ya open it up down roads, but i'd never buy anything else but a cat ;) so the gas mileage doesn't bother me

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a 1997 and it ran great. Gas mileage was pretty good to for a big trip. I did have some problems with the waterpump seal and the carb switches.

That price sounds pretty good based on what I've seen around here. Is he negociable?

By the way, the 1998 model still had round side carbs. Flatsides started with the 1999 model.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congrats avrecords well come to the family ;) :) oh and yeah for those wondering the '99 was the first year of flat slides cause i remember that when i bought mine.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by greenman1980@Oct 28 2002, 11:14 AM
for those wondering the '99 was the first year of flat slides cause i remember that when i bought mine.
I was thinking flat slides came out same time as the TSL, guess not. :hallo3:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the sled. Now that it's used, you can choose some good mods and really wake it up...doesn't take much w/that sled. One of the first things I would do since you have time b-4 the snow hits, is go through all the bearings...especially the jackshaft.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Originally posted by JIM FRITCH@Oct 28 2002, 02:11 PM
Congrats and enjoy the sled. Now that it's used, you can choose some good mods and really wake it up...doesn't take much w/that sled. One of the first things I would do since you have time b-4 the snow hits, is go through all the bearings...especially the jackshaft.
I agree 100% with ya FRITCH ;) very good idea to do. I usually buy new cause ya never know what someone else did to their machine before ya bought it. sometimes new isn't the best either. but you'll love your sled and good luck to ya avrecords ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts