Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you doo heads,
  Where can I look for a zx chassis to drop a 809+ into. I can't take seeing all you guys and gals Dooing it. I'm going to take the project plung for fun IF and only IF I can find some killer deals on a chassis and motor.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It depends how good a ZX you want.  

If you want one with damage go to a salvage yard.

If you want one thats really good go find one used.  

If you want a brand new one go and buy a 380fan and take the motor out.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Machzzzz1,
Would the fan chassis be the same as the mxz though? I'd buy good gas shocks.  But what about the rear skid? Bars,seat etc?Although I'm sure that racers will be selling alot of this stuff.  What does a 380 fan go for new or used usually.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The Mxz fan is a ZX chassie the same as a Mxz 800 X only it doesnt have the 13 inch suspention it has only 10.  It also has a the sc-10 suspention and it only has a speedo no tach.  Plus it comes with steel skis which is good because i would switch them to persision ski right away.

A Mxz380fan RER would cost you 3999.00 US dollars. (Make sure it is with hydralic brakes not mechanical.)

Then you sell the 380 fan motor for 500-1000 to either your dealer or to an other guy who would like a 380.  Since they are a old motor and lots of sled have them it probably wouldnt be a problem.  Plus some guy might want RER.

Then get a 809 triple and bring the sled to the guy whos putting it in if its not yourself.

After the engine is installed its time to work on the rear skid.  

The 380 doesnt come with the SC-10 3 skid.  To get the SC-10 3 you would have to get a 500 liquid cooled mxz which cost a lot more.

One of the problems with going with a 380 is that the 380 is AIR cooled.  You would have to find the heat exchanger for a liquid cooled sled somewhere and install it.  I dont think its that big a problem and i wonder if the exchanger is that much money anyway.

You have a choice.  Go with a aftermarket suspention, Go with a SC-102 like in a regular mach or modifiy the SC-10.

I would go with Modifiy the SC-10.  Out of all the stock skids it is probably best suited to hooking up the triple power.

Get the ETS kit from Ad bovin and install that, Then install a set of Ohline gas shocks Back and center.   Then add 2 idlers on each side by the bend in the rail and giving you a total of 3 per side.  

This sled would scream.  

You could also upgrade your brakes buy draining the fluid and using dot 4 with stainless steal braided brake lines.  

You would also need the MPEM of a Mach Z to make all of the electronics work.  And make sure you know if the 809 you are putting in has RER because that might make a diffrence with the MPEM.

This sled would flat out rock.  I have a guy who build these things and they truly are the ultimate weapon.  They are also so light.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dam you Machzzzz1,
  Why did you have to make sounds so easy. I bit more of a challenge may have kept me away from it. This has been  one of those projects that is always in the bacxkof a sled heads mind. I'm going to look and see what a mxz 500 goes for at the actions and used. Can't be much for a 5oo. Plus it will be real easy to sell that motor. Thanks for all the info man. Maybe I'll only get one of those RX-1's I ordered.  What does a 809 go for used/built? I've seen heavy moded motors for sale. I'm sure ZMachman can help me in the motor department when the time comes.  Think the fan hood would get more races?

Maybe I'll be DOOing it yet.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
getting the 500 liquid would make things a lot easier and your right it would be pretty easy to sell.  But having the letting 380F on the cowl with the power of the 809 under it would be so cool.  Talk about a sleeper.  

I dont want to scare you but my dealer told me that the 809 price is High.  My bet and this is ballpark is around 4500cdn.  But i have no clue so you better check.  

I would get a used one and rebuild it to make a lot of power anyways.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Don't forget about clutches. I think the 380 uses a different clutch.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen killer built z motors for $1500 - $3000 us dollars. I know the chain case from a mxz440/500 is the same as the 800 I believe so that won't be a concern. Clutches seem to be getting cheaper and someone has to have one laying around. You guys need to clean out your garages for this one.

Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Stick with this project Dogg.  When your finished and it really shouldnt be that long you will really have a killer sled.  You are simply compleating the work that skidoo should have done.  

I think you will be really happy with this thing.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dam, I come into the Doo site and look where it's gotten me. I don't think this will be to expensive either compared to to new RX-1's. ####, there $19,000. $2,000 for the motor,$1,500 pipes etc, $2,500-4,000 for the sled -$800 after selling the motor=$6,700 for a kick ### sled.
Caleb

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
A decent used 809 will run you about $2000 US. I see you are American, and so would suggest buying one in Canada, since the exchange would save you alot cash. I did quite a bit of research when I was thinking about putting an 809 into my S-2000 mxz. Also, I was told that a guy by the name of Bondi somewhere in Ontario has already done this conversion, and would likely be able to help you out immensely. Especially as far as pipes and other miscellaneus chassis modification. I lost the number though. MR.670 was the guy that gave me the info I believe.

Besides...its not the price of the engine that is gonna kill you...its the pipes....Here in Canada, custom made triple pipes are worth your first born....but if you buy everything in Canada, I bet you could save a bundle.

I'm sure the ZMan has a few engines sitting around collecting dust

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told guys were putting stock pipes and can s into the sleds. There were posts in the forums last year with pics and all that show's the swap into 440 chassis's. Custom pipes here are under $1000 easily as long as there is room to fit them.
Caleb

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sled Dogg - I know of someone selling a slightly modded 809
(172HP claimed w/Jaws pipes) for $1400 over by Grand Rapids if you are interested I'll give you the info. It's going to
be put on EBAY shortly though!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maluchm,
  Being a mortgage broker I won't be getting tons of cash till the nd of next month. Just paying crap off now and still have a few goodies for my muntain bike to buy and my car stereo lol. I know that I'll be able to find some good deals thankfully.  The biggest question is now going to be whether or not to get the RX-1's or only one of the two I ordered. Welll my first sled was a 1977 Doo Olympic 340. So I guess this would be my coming home.

P.S. so all you forum guys and gakls call me so I can get you a great interest rate to pay for this.  I just re-financed a couple who's loan i closed Febv 28 of this year. Rates are great. You'd be supprised at what i can do for you and fees are very resonable, good credit bad it doesn't matter. I've been doing alot of shortning of terms also 25 and 20 yr mortgages are big now with the rates.. So pm me for a mortgage analysis.

Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would only get the one Rx-1 for now.  Having two diffrent awsome machines is better then having two of the same awsome machine.

And Dogg,  Welcome Home.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just talked to Jet Hot, $200 to coat trip pipes and $60 for trip silencers. Not bad I think.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just checked out the whitestar auction site and at the june austio  a machz went for 2,800 and a 2002 mxz500 went for 3100. This definetly will be a resonable costing project.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Just get a used one with high milage.

Your going to change the engine and clutch anyways.  

Then the shocks and front bushings (bushings are penuts and easy to install.  

I bet you could get a ZX 500 for 3400.00 us used maybe cheaper. but with sc-102 suspention.  You would have to buy a new 500 to get sc-103

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They only post the sleds that sold. So I'm sure that there will be other mxz 500's for sale in the aug action, that's when i'm going to go I think or Sept. Even if I pay High dollar around $3700 once i sell the motor I'd have 3000 into it. I had no idea they were going so cheap and the motors also.
 Heres the link for the june 2002 sled auctions : http://www.snowmobileauction.com/June.html
Caleb

1 - 20 of 41 Posts